Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2012, 09:57 PM   #21 
Sena Hansler

I gave him a little bit of the squash one, he ate about 1/2 teaspoon though I think he was aiming more at the white measuring spoon as if it were an intruder then he just licked the spoon lol.

Temperature: 32 Celsius. Now that the thermometer is not in his mouth.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #22 
ThePearlFish

Oh! One more thing. Do you have a Mercury Vapor bulb or UVB bulb for his basking spot? they need that to synthesize his food. I saw you mention a regular light bulb as a heat source. i just skimmed the posts so I am not sure if I missed it.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #23 
Bsalem05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafeara View Post
Sounds like he wasn't fed properly thats for sure. A good sign of parasites are dark runny poo. Also I can't remember what it's called but there should be a white part, that's the pee. It should be soft. If its hard or not ever present that can be parasites. Really bearded dragons naturally have parasites it's just some of the parasites they can get are really bad. Others don't bother them. Sudden lose in weight also good sign of parasites. There is really a lot of information on parasites online because they are so common.

Urates.. lol
had to just add that... birds and reptiles "pee" when they poo and it's white like you said. =)
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #24 
Sena Hansler

PearlFish: he came with a LIGHT bulb (40 watt energy efficient) and I had to change it out to the only "best" light I could find which is a day basking light ( I THINK sun glo, it's a 60 watt). If it were summer Jim would just be chilling by the screen door or outside with me

I ran out the day we got him back and we looked through the limited supply of bulbs for that :/

Edit: apparently I need to find "solar glo" -.- (you'd think a pet store with half a store of reptiles would carry it...) looks like no matter what next weekend we are going to Edmonton

Is the fact they used a energy efficient light bulb why he is not eating?

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-13-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #25 
ThePearlFish

Can you get one of these bulbs where you are? I am not confident that the solar glo is the best one.

This has different wattages. I use 100W for mine. (You need a reall deep dome fixture for this since it is bigger and wider)

This one you need the straight fixture for.

The compact fluorescent light bulbs aren't BAD per se, but they don't give out as much spectrum input as the other kinds and they were thought to possibly be sensitive on some people's eyes, so some people don't use them with their reptiles.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #26 
Sena Hansler

I have the deep dome style lamp. I'll see if I can find that or if he can order it in for me ^_^ I need to ask if he can get a few other things for me anyways I recognize "power sun" by the beardie lol so he might actually cary it. I'll check today
Old 12-13-2012, 11:28 AM   #27 
ThePearlFish

The power sun is an MVB bulb, so should last longer than a regular UVB bulb, but keep in mind that 18mos. is probably the longest you should keep it before you replace it. It also is more expensive, but it really is one of the best for the price. It also gives off really good heat in addition to the good stuff, so you might or might not need the heating pad with it.

How big is your tank?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #28 
Sena Hansler

looks to be about a 50 terrarium? It was his original one. However, my bf agrees it is too small for anything really (after you add the slate rocks, driftwood etc) so we are probably going to be getting a 4 foot one that has two levels.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:42 AM   #29 
ThePearlFish

Cool! My Beardie only has a 40g breeder. When I first got him he was an adult in a 20g long!! (I used the 20g long later for a fish tank, lol!)

I moved him into a 120g, but when I moved I moved him into the 40 breeder because he was getting older and less active. The smaller seemed to work for the old man better :P.

The big tank sounds neat :).
Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Lol Ryan picked it out He wants it for Jim before summer since Jim is still really active.