Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-24-2008, 09:56 PM   #1 
nikkeita

Tarzan's Fins

Hey Everyone!

I'm new here as I bought my new Betta Fish two days ago. This is his third night with me and as I was checking out some pictures of Betta, I was kind of wondering if this was normal...

This is the picture I found online:

See how the fins are so full and round? Tarzan is my fish's name and he is male, but his fins don't look anything like that. I mean, the color on his is perfect, but his fins look really... BLAH and thin.

Is that normal?
nikkeita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #2 
Cody

Like, are they shred or just not attached to each other?

Crowntail Bettas have different tails than other bettas. You may have a Crowntail.

Pictures at all?
Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 02:21 AM   #3 
tenpaull

pet store bettas have suffered a lot of damage because of the conditions they are kept in. Some are even irreparable. My first betta had droopy fins but after he settled in his new quarters, a 10gal tank, his fins became fuller and more pronounced. He's lovely :P

Maybe you can post a picture? it would help the experts here diagnose the problem faster :)
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 06:56 AM   #4 
nikkeita

yeah, I had a feeling. I'm going to take pictures of Tarzan today.
I do recall that at the pet store, there were only a couple of Betta that have lovely full fins like the one in the picture.

After my post, I looked a little more closely at Tarzan and it does look like the bottom fins are a little torn. But they all look really flimbsy.

Is there anything I can do to help them go back to normal?
nikkeita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:55 PM   #5 
Oldman47

Many veil tail bettas do not look very strong as far as the fins are concerned. They have a soft billowy look to them. Those are normal for a typical betta and are not a problem. The picture you posted looks wrong to me because it has an artificial look to it the way some movie stars don't look like real people because they have been overdone with the makeup.
Oldman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 05:52 AM   #6 
tenpaull

proper water paramaters, temperature, tank size, and of course high quality food will make or break your betta ;) keep these factors in their very best.
tenpaull is offline   Reply With Quote