Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-16-2012, 06:26 PM   #41 
Jessa24

He is beautiful and I love his huge bubble nest! Welcome. 1.5 gallon is okay...just keep up with your water changes. I have a couple plastic plants in my tank as well...I get some that are unusually soft for plastic and do the pantyhose test on them and so far I haven't had any problens.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #42 
Prettyprada

Hahahahahahaha 5150wicd4fish, I feel like I just went through a hazing process.
Thanks Jessa24! I think he got tired of rebuilding it after his regular water changes that I did :/ oh well! I'm sure he'll get back to it soon :)
Thanks again!
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #43 
CountryChic

Yes bubble nests are a very good sign :) I wouldn't worry too much about his tank size. As long as you do frequent water changes you'll be fine. Bettas are also tropical so they prefer their water warm, if you could find a small heater or keep the water a stable 75ish F that will benefit him. If you could replace the plastic plants with live plants or even silk would be a good idea too but the plastic won't kill him per say just might injur him. Live plants also are prettier (in my opinion) and release oxygen in the water
CountryChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #44 
Prettyprada

Yeah I got some silk red ones! I'm hunting around town for a heater as well.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 12-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #45 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
Prettyprada water test kits aren't to expensive about $20 for simple ones, and your betta is really cool looking. I will warn you will be addicted and coming to this site often very soon. This place is a black hole along with betta keeping, and awesome.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 AM   #46 
twolovers101

Yeah... I think we all get the YOUR TANK IS TOO SMALL lecture when we join *le sigh*

My advice: Take everything you read here with a grain of salt until you build up your list of trusted and knowledgeable members. All the mods are generally a good place to start when it comes to knowledge and experience and soon enough you'll have your own personalized mental list of people.

Your fish is very pretty by the way :)

Good luck in your aquatic adventures and welcome to the forum!
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #47 
Prettyprada

Thanks everyone for their warm hearted comments!!! :) I feel much more confident now thanks to you kind and understanding fellow betta keeper!

Oh and thanks for the tip, bettasareawesome! I'll get a testing kit for Christmas. Since I'll be home and not have to spend extra money on my own food and stuff :)
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #48 
bettasareawesome

Location: Iowa, Midwest, USA, North America, Earth, The Sol Star System, Milky Way
you're welcome and just call me bettas, less of a mouth full... or fingers full.
bettasareawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #49 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Hi, welcome to the forum.
Your tank looks great. Sometimes if a filter is turned off, bettas become less active. Not because of disease, IMO rather due to diluted oxygen (I'm not good with water). Try cleaning the filter media and put it back in. If you think the pump is too strong, use those valve to reduce the bubbles (I'm assuming you're using an air pump).

Good luck with your gorgeous little buddy and your exams.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 PM   #50 
Prettyprada

Haha all right, Bettas. I'll remember that :)

Hmmm ingjo maybe it is because of that? I tried turning his filter back on and he looked like he was being drawn to it, and then pushed under with the little water fall type thing it produces. (its not an air pump, i don't know what exactly it is. I just know its called a Whisper filter)

And thanks! I have 2 more exams and then its back to home for a few days! I'm having to take him with me too...