betta fish

Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #1 
Senshine

Strange growth/fungus on Thai Fish.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1L jar.
What temperature is your tank? 80F.
Does your tank have a filter? No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Iíve tried Omega One Pellets, bloodworms and microworms but he hasnít eaten anything.
How often do you feed your betta fish? I offer food every day.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime and Kanaplex.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He arrived with odd looking opaque white raised fungus looking areas; one at the base of his dorsal that has slowley spread to both sides and one by his right gill/pectoral fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? His colour is fading more and more and he is lethargic most days, laying on the bottom of the jar only going up every once in a while to breath.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? The 24th-26th of June (as soon as he arrived in Canada from Thailand)
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? API fungus cure for about a week then Triple Sulfa/Tetracycline for another week. Iíve been treating him with Kanaplex since the 9th of July. Nothing seems to be making a difference.
I take five spoon fulls of clean water into a bowl, mixed a scoop full of the kanaplex in, then I take one spoon full out of that bowl and put it into another bowl with three spoon fulls of clean water. I then put one spoon full of that mixture into his ja
r.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? N/A
How old is your fish (approximately)? 4-5 months

This is when he was with Catwoman:

This is him now:

Senshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:22 AM   #2 
ANHEL123

wow so sorry poor thing.
I think you already treated him with so many medications ....i think his immune system is incredibly compromised and its probobly the reason he is getting worse
I was talking to someone from i think she also lives in Canada. I spoke to her long time ago. She got 3 bettas and one of them just could not adjust to the water. The water from Thailand is usually quite soft ,around 6.0 for a ph and about 1-3 6 h for hardness. A fish that is accustomed to soft water may not do well in hard water because it messed with their osmoregulation or how they process the water going through their systems. Her other fish on another hand were fine.

I think you need to stop giving him any medications. You gave him enough.

The only what i would think you can do so you don't stress him out with all those medications is try samarium salt.
Buy it at the pet store it Sodium chloride. Not sure how it will be in Canada. It might call different but it Sodium chloride. If it would call differential you can goodle it and see what it is. If you will having a problem let me know i will try to search my notes. I have somewhere writing down the other names that it can be called.
It should be without any additives.
Pre mix it first, shake it well make sure it dissolved and no salt crystals left. Do daily water changes (100%). If you will do the salt then first day do 1 tsp/gall
day 2 - 2tsp/gall
day 3 -3 tsp/gall
Continue for 13 days.
Sorry i hope he will pull through but you have to be ready for the worse.
And take time to acclimate him.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 AM   #3 
ANHEL123

If you don't have heater in his bowl then you can let the premixed water sit for about 24 hrs uncovered with water conditioner or you can put it 5 -10 min before you change him . This way the new water will be the same temp as him.

Or you an just have him in the cup with a little bit of the water and keep adding small amount of the water every 5 min for about 5 time , so he get used to the temperature
Old 07-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #4 
rickey
Banned

Looks like Flex(Flavobacterium columnare) to me which is a Gram - Negative Rod Bacteria this often mistaken for a fungus because of its cottony appearance but it is indeed a bacteria. This is one of the few case were salt actually helps some. I generally recommend Mardel’s Maracyn-Two as an appropriate antibiotic. I have dealt with this a few time with the goldfish in hot weather (over 85* water temperatures) since the breeder house are not air conditioned an I live in FL

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:59 PM   #5 
ANHEL123

I also forget to say that if you can lower the temperature since bacteria thrive and multiply in the warmer temperature. If you can you can slowly lower it about 1-2 * in an hour. 76* is good. Some people recommending 72-74*
Old 07-21-2013, 12:42 AM   #6 
Senshine

For some reason his colour is a lot darker today, but he still won't eat (I don't believe he has eaten anything since hes been in Canada..)
He did not develop this by being in Canadian water though. He had it before (maybe developed while was being shipped I guess) since the seller said he was healthy when he was sent.
Also, the growth hasn't really changed a whole lot in the time hes been here, its just spread a bit onto the other side of his dorsal. I had him in a jar inside a bin with heated water along with many other fish so I couldn't lower his temperature a bit per hour without lowering the others too so I just took him out.
The temperature is now around 22-23C.

Another thing.. I don't think at all that this is columnaris. The growth isn't fuzzy or cottony at all. it is opaque and dense looking.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #7 
Stone

I would try antisons betta spa or indian almond leaves it is a natural way of treating them for minor things, with the list of meds you have used on him with no improvement you have nothing to lose at this point
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #8 
Senshine

I will try to pick some up soon! Thanks.

Last edited by Senshine; 07-21-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 AM   #9 
sunlight

I would not keep him with your other fish at all. I would not share anything between him and other fish. It might be something contagious and he will give it to other fish. I also agree that he got to much medications. I would really try aquarium salt. It has antibacterial affect and also fish will increase a slime coat production which is natural defense against the bacteria, and less stressful on the fish.
Also if you have stress coat would help.
Try salt sometimes it really works amazingly , you not loosing anything it not going to hurt him in any way.
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #10 
Senshine

Their water has not been shared in anyway at all, so that isn't an issue.
I would want to try the betta spa first to give him a break from the meds.
Could him colouring up a result of him getting better from the Kanaplex?