Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2012, 08:47 PM   #1 
RoMay

Bettas acting odd last few days

So about four days ago I decided to change her diet to more of a normal bettas diet. I cut back on the nori and the blood worms. I also started feeding her less. She's been acting always hungry but I ignored it since really she is getting enough food. But she's getting to active and acting desprite to get food. She's to the point she doesn't casually play with her food she attacks it. It's like she's lost her flipping mind. I wish I could take a picture but she's zooming around just like the bleeping goldfish (in the other tank another problem child). And i just noticed she tore her tail fin twice
. I might have to take out all the decoration till she cools off. I plan on doing another full change tommarow. In stead of loosing color she's gaining color.

>_<

Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 75
Does your tank have a filter? Nope.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Does a plant count?
Is your tank heated? Yup.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Just herself.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Small betta flakes every day for meal 1, a peice or of blood dry worm for dinner and nori every 3 days instead of flakes.
How often do you feed your betta fish? See above

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Water evaporates fast in this tank so it gets new water every few days with a full half tank done every half week and a full cleaning every week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? See above,
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Betta Safe by Tetra

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

N/A I am partly color blind so the only tests I can find defeat the purpose.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Actually yes she's started to get in more color. She's also getting a round white belly. Still scaley not fuzzy or weird other then round.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Thus why I am writing this. She swims one direction and suddenly switches directions and does this down in a zig sag pattern. She swimming around trying to eat everything in site. She even swam hard into the side of the tank trying to get at food that stuck to the side of the tank on the outside. Basically she's acting like she's desperate for food, not begging behavior.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Four days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yeah, as I mentioned earlier she used to be a light grey and a floater. She wouldn't move her hind tail for a bit.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Youngish.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #2 
callistra

Overall it sounds like she's doing well.. increase in color is a good thing. Her behavior could be okay, but it could also be indicative of an internal parasite infection.

She's a little cold. 76 is minimum for bettas and 78-80is best. Anything less and they are prone to being constipated.

Blood worms should be given occasionally as treats and should not be a daily diet thing. Flakes should be avoided entirely. I suggest finding a good quality protein based pellet like New Life Spectrum or Omega One. Anything freeze dried needs to be soaked or it will cause constipation issues. They also need to be fasted one day a week.

The round white belly could be a little constipation or it could also be some infection. Can you share photos? Also watch her poop carefully and let us know what it looks like.. ballish.. long stringy.. short strings.. and color.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 03:53 AM   #3 
RoMay

She used to be a scrawny little thing so I gave her blood worms for the protein to get her growin' and fatten her up.

Soak food, gotcha, I'll try that and I won't feed her tommarow. Will check out the New Life Spectrum and Omega one and see which to get her.

As for photos well she's faster then my constant picture function on the camera. As I said before she's acting like she's lost her mind. I'll try again tommarow to get her to stay. May involve having to tease her to get her to follow my finger.

As for her poop, in the whole time I had her I seen her poop once many days for this issue occured. May I be blunt in saying she's a stealthy little pooper. But she has to be pooping other wise she'd be a very dead fish right now. I never see anything stringy floating in her cage... Other then when she's attacking the moss ball.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 
RoMay

Just want to say I think it was constipation. I closed the more and more till it read 80. Tanks stays pretty steady but it's amusing to say my tank is lid tempiture controled.

Anyway warmed her up and switched to omega one. She seems to not like them at all but what better way to get her to deflate then to not eat for awile. I'm certian if she gets hungry enough she'll eat. Today she took a giant ol' poop. So YAY!

Still hyper, though she was sitting still and checking out the new betta (couldn't resist she's actually smaller then Kaoru and was in a leaky container). Though with new betta out of site she's been zooming around agian. Should have taken a picture of her while she was occupied.