Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #11 
Trackpadtactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
As long as the leaves of the bamboo are out of water you can do that. And you could put the fish back in right after the plants there's no issue there. I do suggest QT'ing the plants for atleast a week before adding them just in case they have snails or something else
what do you mean by QT'ing them? if im right at petsmart they already are?
Trackpadtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #12 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackpadtactics View Post
what do you mean by QT'ing them? if im right at petsmart they already are?
Not really no, they just have them in tanks with plants waiting for a buyer, plants can carry parasites and snails, even hitchhiker fish! Plus how clean do you think their water is -- ew! We all heard the horror stories about their water and stuff.

You want to be careful, and keep them in a seperate tank with CLEAN water, that you know is CLEAN, for two weeks before adding them in

However some people do not QT them, and use a bleachy solution to clean them, or dip them at a risk of killing the plant

Some others just rinse them in lukewarm water and add them directly and had no issues.

It's all a matter of luck, I do not risk it and always qt them first.

Also when buying plants, make sure that the req are the same, and to have fertilizers or tablets as they need.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #13 
Trackpadtactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by asukabetta View Post
Not really no, they just have them in tanks with plants waiting for a buyer, plants can carry parasites and snails, even hitchhiker fish! Plus how clean do you think their water is -- ew! We all heard the horror stories about their water and stuff.

You want to be careful, and keep them in a seperate tank with CLEAN water, that you know is CLEAN, for two weeks before adding them in

However some people do not QT them, and use a bleachy solution to clean them, or dip them at a risk of killing the plant

Some others just rinse them in lukewarm water and add them directly and had no issues.

It's all a matter of luck, I do not risk it and always qt them first.

Also when buying plants, make sure that the req are the same, and to have fertilizers or tablets as they need.
Thanks for the infomation. Now i had another question.

Should i get a couple of ghost shirmp for the poo and plants? or do the plants already over that?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #14 
Hopeseeker

I used to have 2 of those. Anubias and java ferns worked well. I have recently found out that floating plants are amazing and your fish would love it if you got some, too. I have since moved to bigger aquariums. Hope this helps a little.
Hopeseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #15 
asukabetta

Quote:
Thanks for the infomation. Now i had another question.

Should i get a couple of ghost shirmp for the poo and plants? or do the plants already over that?
Shrimps do not eat poop. Just leftover food and ocassionally algae if you have any. And they poop as well XD Technically there is no aquatic animal that eats poop, thus the water changes.

Plants will use part of the poop as nutrients but you will still have to remove them manually. Sorry.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #16 
Trackpadtactics

Quote:
Shrimps do not eat poop. Just leftover food and ocassionally algae if you have any. And they poop as well XD Technically there is no aquatic animal that eats poop, thus the water changes.

Plants will use part of the poop as nutrients but you will still have to remove them manually. Sorry.
Not a problem, But im wondering if its a good idea to get a couple?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #17 
Trackpadtactics

Sorry i couldn't update the last post but here is a video of something i would like to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LubYMbtL23E

any idea what plants are and what is needed?
Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #18 
asukabetta

Quote:
Not a problem, But im wondering if its a good idea to get a couple?

yeah :) just be careful cause they may become Betta food XD
Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #19 
Trackpadtactics

Quote:
Sorry i couldn't update the last post but here is a video of something i would like to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LubYMbtL23E

any idea what plants are and what is needed?
Quote:
yeah :) just be careful cause they may become Betta food XD
Thanks, and also can someone else please tell me what i can do to get what i need for a tank like that?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #20 
Trackpadtactics

Alright so here is how it is so far!

Let me know you like it so far. I plan on getting a Buddha like statue for the middle piece and adding some fake bamboo stocks around it like 4 of them, and maybe get some grass like plants for the front. Anyone have a idea of the front grass? Iv seen the small plant ones in petsmart that you can plant but im not sure if its what i want and if so how much it will grow.

Last edited by Trackpadtactics; 12-13-2012 at 06:08 PM.