Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #1 
peas

Need a second set of eyes! Sick little king boy.

So I adopted out a sick king from Petco. To me he did look like he was on his last threads so I took him in my arms and give him a warm tank so should he move on, he could in a warm environment.

At first I thought it was dropsy, because had had a couple scales protruding, but it weren't all of them. He got a little Epsom treatment and he started to liven up a little but he swims on his side and lays on his side almost all the time, except when he practically jumps to the surface for air and float-drops back down. It soon to not look like dropsy but more of swim bladder. I still think it is swim bladder but I've been researching more and more and he shows a few symptoms of TB. I don't really know- I'd like a second set of eyes please.

I put him on very little doses of maracyn and maracyn two combined, with Epsom (pinch a new water change (which is every day after school)) and a pinch of AQ once every three days just in case it is dropsy--don't want to hurt him but he doesn't seem to mind in a bad way.

He is in a .75 G QT tank, using stress coat+ conditioner, some Epsom and maracyn one and two every day. Water changes are 100% daily, temperature around 80 always.

I've been the only one in contact with him.

Picture attached- he always looks like this. sometimes he'll stand complete vertical too.

Edit: he hasn't changed colours- he's a normal dark emerald king with iridescent scales that shine blue in light. No fin rot, no parasites that I can tell... he has ABSOLUTELY NO APPETITE! I've had him an entire seven days.
Attached Images

peas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2 
Sena Hansler

Doesn't look like he has an SBD belly. How does he swim at all?
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #3 
peas

That's what I thought because he doesn't have ANY bloating at all. He dart swims and it's not lopsided.. he swims and looks perfectly balanced but what he sits still he looks like... blah.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

There are no other signs other than not eating? Not eating could very well just be the stress of being in a new place. How long have you had him? Has he gotten any worse in that time frame? He could very well just have a bent spine, but you should still make sure to wash your hands after contact with his water, or anything of his.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:25 AM   #5 
peas

Absolutely no appetite- he looked like this when I got him: on his side, not swimming much... That's why I got him. I'll wait a while longer on the food but he hasn't any stress marks which concerns me.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #6 
Sena Hansler

It could be a bent spine problem, from him not being culled (I got a few off-swimmers myself). It is odd that he does not have stress stripes. which makes me think he has gotten used to this odd predicament.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #7 
peas

I'll try to take a video of him later and get a link to you of him swimming around or something.

This may be bad for him but he doesn't move away from my hands when I go to check on him- in fact he lays in my palm when he sees my hand in there but know I shouldn't do that since it could harm his slime coat...
Old 12-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I say get him to a teaspoon of Pre-dissolved salt in his quarantine and see if it helps. You can get him up to about 3 teaspoons per gallon.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #9 
peas

Currently I am dissolving salt in his tank as we speak. I got a closer look at him under better light. He has a bent spine which I was not able to see before due to positioning. It's definitely crooked. It explains the oddball swimming but not sure about the appetite.

Should I get some flakes for him to be easier to eat?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #10 
peas

!!!!!!!!!!! HE ATE HEBATE AHHH HE ATE!!!!

I gave him a tiny piece of freeze dried brine shrimp and AHHH he ate and chewed!!! I'm sorry this deserves a double post!!!

Tags
king betta, sickness