Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #1 
asukabetta

Help with blown out fins

They are ripped on various edges, the extremities of the tail fin remains or stems, but the silk-fin part are torn.

Kiyohime is a very aggressive flarer, I don't like to make him flare often cause he keeps flaring even though the mirror is gone or looks for the "rival betta". and he has many folds on his tail so he's heavily finned-- I was wondering what I could do to reduce blow outs and to check if it is still indeed blow out tails fins.
Attached Images

asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #2 
Fabian

Try to flare him once 2 or 3 days.
Lower the filter current and remove any sharp ornaments in your tank.
Fabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 PM   #3 
callistra

Is that a plastic plant? They tend to tear fins, as do any sharp gravel. Silk or live are better if you can find them.

If he's blowing out his tail flaring then don't make him flare.. Bettas don't need to flare, but the fact he is so aggressive is actually a healthy sign, so I wouldn't be worried about it.. just don't show him a mirror.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Because he's a halfmoon, his fins are going to be naturally prone to tattering, especially as he ages. Halfmoon fins are the most delicate of all and sometimes I feel like if you sneeze, the fins tear. o.O You should see my old halfmoon - the edges of his fins are practically fringed. As long as Kiyohime is acting normally and eating well and you don't see any signs of blackened edges, then it's just natural wear and tear.

He's a handsome, handsome guy. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 AM   #5 
asukabetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Because he's a halfmoon, his fins are going to be naturally prone to tattering, especially as he ages. Halfmoon fins are the most delicate of all and sometimes I feel like if you sneeze, the fins tear. o.O You should see my old halfmoon - the edges of his fins are practically fringed. As long as Kiyohime is acting normally and eating well and you don't see any signs of blackened edges, then it's just natural wear and tear.

He's a handsome, handsome guy. :)
thanks, I was worried, because it did seem like they were tattering compared to when he was younger. I will keep his water clean :D and stress free as possible
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote