Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #1 
NoPurposeFlour

Betta Proof Decor Suggestions

Okay so here's what's up, I've been trying to find suitable aquarium decor for so long for my betta tank. The problem I'm having is my boys are ripping their fins on all the hide away cave-things I get. As of right now I'm using pvc pipes because they have no sharp edges and are aquarium safe. Are there any other suggestions on things that I can use in my tank as cave type things? I've even tried to sink a styrofoam cup with no success. I wanted to make a styrofoam playground, but I don't think it would sink. I want to spoil these betta fish, but so far the only things suitable are silk plants and pvc pipes! lol. I would really like do it yourself suggestions, but really I'll take any. Ideas?
NoPurposeFlour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 PM   #2 
carbonxxkidd

I think most ceramics are safe for aquariums. I have seen a lot of people with coffee mugs in their tanks, and have used other ceramic oraments in tanks in the past with no problems. I like the ones that look more glossy because those tend to be smoother in my experience. Sometimes it's hard to find things that are specifically meant for aquariums, so get creative.

When I was a kid I bought a ceramic seal from my local zoo's gift shop and put it in my tank. It lived there for many years until I finally chipped it so bad that it just wasn't cute anymore.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #3 
Sivan

I have heard that painted ceramics can cause problems, however, if not glazed with aquarium friendly glaze because over time the paint can release toxins into the water. How true is this?
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #4 
nataliey

I test the ornaments/decor before it goes into my tank, i get some ladies tights/stockings and just gently run them over the item intended for the tank, if they snag or ladder i know its not suitable for my betta tank as my male will rip his tail.

Have you tried a coconut cave? they are very natural and can be either bought or made cheaply. My bettas enjoy to sit in theirs and poke their head out.
nataliey is offline   Reply With Quote