Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #1 
Viva

Sharp substrate tearing betta's fins?

Hey all, I just recently got some new substrate for my planted tank called Eco-Complete by CaribSea. However I have noticed that my betta's fins are getting torn by something. At first I thought it was the new ornament I put in there but I sanded that thing down for hours and I'm sure it passes the "pantyhose test". It could also be the driftwood that is in there but I want to rule out the substrate as a possible culprit? Has anyone used this substrate before and do you think it is too sharp? It seems to be made up of all different types of pebbles and things so it looks pretty rough.

Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #2 
callistra

That would surprise me.. This is a really common/top end substrate and I've never heard anything about it being problematic, but be interesting to see more opinions.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Usually when fin damage is caused by the substrate-it will be the anal fin and sometimes the caudal fin-due to dragging on/over the substrate.

Can you post of pic of the damage and tell us more about the tank/system itself-also, husbandry.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #4 
Viva

Ok, here are a few pictures starting from the time I got him to today. Notice his fins seem to be progressively deteriorating ? I've had the driftwood and the same type of substrate since I purchased him from Petsmart in October. Mid November I purchased more plants and I believe too many hitch hiking snails and stupidly over cleaning the filter made my tank crash..it smelled horrible and had a brown tint to it. I was cleaning it every other day doing 20% - 50% water changes too since it was a new tank before it crashed. I put Cinder in a temporary tank and threw away the bad, bacteria infested substrate. I replanted all the plants in new substrate that I've shown above about 2 weeks ago, though many of them died (most of the Hornwort, Crystalwort and all of the Frogbit). So the tank is still cycling.

Today I tested the water and the PH is around 8.0, despite me trying to lower it with peat moss balls. The ammonia was around 0.25ppm or lower, Nitrate and Nitrite 0ppm. The PH from the tap is fairly high, around 7.8 or so and when my tank crashed I was testing the water like crazy before I was able to redo it and the PH was around 6.2 or 6.4.

Anyways, here are the pics:

Here is Cinder the first day I got him:

Cinder about 2 weeks later, before the tank crashed. Notice how nice the Hornwort looked:

Now this is Cinder last week, about a week after I redid the entire tank:

And here is Cinder today, his caudal fin has a HUGE tear in it now which happened 2 days ago sometime during the night or morning:
Old 12-08-2012, 08:50 PM   #5 
callistra

It looks like fin rot to me. I wouldn't think the gravel would effect his top fin.. that's what looks the most torn to me.. OFL may know more..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #6 
BeatrixKiddo

It looks like fin rot to me too. It's harder to tell on Cinder because of his coloring, but his dorsal fin tips seems to be slightly inflamed. I also have a halfmoon who is currently suffering from fin rot, and his fins look similar to Cinder's.
BeatrixKiddo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #7 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixKiddo View Post
It looks like fin rot to me too. It's harder to tell on Cinder because of his coloring, but his dorsal fin tips seems to be slightly inflamed. I also have a halfmoon who is currently suffering from fin rot, and his fins look similar to Cinder's.
Yeah with his color its hard to tell. With my other fish its easy to see because it turns brown on the edges. I'll just treat him in another tank with some AQ salt see if that helps.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #8 
Leopardfire

My betta had fin rot and it looked a lot like that. He would also get large tears in the night. AQ salt should fix it though.
Leopardfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #9 
Viva

Its just weird because I've kept the water very clean, and test it at least every 3 days to make sure the ammonia isn't too high. I don't understand how he got fin rot :(
Old 12-10-2012, 05:35 PM   #10 
asukabetta

I some times wonder the same thing, i think my betta gets it from blown fins but I'm not sure. I love ur betta btw
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote