Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 
tilli94

Question danios?

Hi everyone I just got a new 36 gallon aquarium that came with 3 danios and a red fin rainbow shark? (I think that's the name). And I was wondering if it would be possible to put my Betta boy in there without too many problems. I don't really want to keep the danios but I feel bad kicking them out of their home. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #2 
DragonFish

That wouldn't be a very good idea.....its a bad combination. Neither the Rainbow Shark or the Danios are a good match with bettas.

Danios are very quick, swift-moving, and nippy schooling fish....they often move around much too quickly for a slow-moving betta, and this can stress the betta out. They can also become a little nippy, especially in smaller groups.

Rainbow sharks get large, about 6-7 Inches, and are very aggressive and territorial. It will likely attack and eat your betta, and in a tank that size may try to go after the Danios as well. How large is it right now?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #3 
tilli94

Its the 36 I'm just not sure where to take the danoos and shark I don't really want to keep them. Id like to devote the tank to bettas.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #4 
kfryman

If you have a petstore that sells fish they will most likely accept fish that you give them, ask a head of time for them though, don't just bring the fish in and be like here you go.

When you get a bigger tank I would suggest going against bettas. There are so many other choices that are really fun to have. A gourami is actually related to a betta and they are really pretty as well and can be in a tank with a bit more current and they also have the personalities that bettas do, just not as aggressive as they weren't bred to fight which you want in a community setting. It is all up to you, but bettas limit you like crazy, I wish I thought of that before hand now because I am going to have to move my girls to a different tank because they wouldn't allow me to stock the tank how I want. Think about the future...
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Yup. Check around your area for local, privately owned mom&pop pet shops that carry fish. Often they'll take your fish for store credit that you can used towards supplies and such.
If all else fails, theres always the option of advertising on Craigslist...

I do agree that bettas do limit your stocking options, but personally I wouldn't advise against it necessarily.....instead, I suggest you just really do your research. If you don't mind the limits with stocking options that come with bettas and/or you are looking for a tank with just some very small peaceful schooling species like Tetras or Rasboras, or if you'd like to start something like a Sorority then by all means go for it.
But definitely look into all your options to make sure thats what you want. Find a few species you like, and research research research!! Research until your head hurts and research some more! I can't stress enough the importance of research when you're stocking any tank.

Personally, I wouldn't really recommend Gouramis over bettas either really. While they were not bred to fight and are generally a little less aggressive, depending on the species they can still be just as mean and aggressive as any betta. I had a blue Gourami that completely destroyed my tank, killed EVERYTHING.
So again....research research research!
Old 12-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #6 
tilli94

Thank you all for your advice. I was thinking about a sorority tank with guppies I have tons of hidey holes and hopefully soon will have my plants to set up. I'm still going to wait a few weeks til the tank settles after I find a home for these guys. I'm hoping I can find a small pet store close by to take them.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Sure thing. :) Best of luck!