Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #11 
jden

Iv checked again today and the tail do not have any black edges. I can see a little bit of regrowth. The fish seems to be floating when it gets close to the filter but it can swim near it to. So I guess I shouldnt worry abiut it getting sucked in
jden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #12 
DragonFish

Just keep a close eye on his tail then and keep his water nice and clean!

With my long-finned bettas, just as a precaution, due to a bad experience myself and several other horrible experiences I've read, I like to baffle the filter intake just in case. You can rubber band/plastic zip-tie the foot of some womens nylon pantyhose to the intake, or Fluval makes this awesome sponge that slips over most intakes.
http://media.valuepetsupplies.com/ca...1494025691.jpg

Is he having any trouble with the filter outflow? I know those filters can be a little strong.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #13 
jden

I can see in some areas where he would have troubled. Sometimes the outflow would push him into the corner but it seems like he swims there himself. But il probably get the sponge just to he safe
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #14 
DragonFish

Alright, good plan. Probably wouldn't hurt to rubber band a little sponge over the outflow too. ;)
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 AM   #15 
txbettaowner

I went to Petco and got a 10 gallon tank as well. It has a filter that I can adjust the flow of the water throught it, it has a completely sumbmersible heater, a thermometer, and I have 5 big silk plants in the tank along with a "broken" vase, a Colosseum and rock and marbles for bottom. My tank stays at 78 degrees. I have 4 Betta females in mine. I give them blood worms 3x a day. I know I don't a male but I plan on getting one after we return from Ohio. I have a 2.5 gallon tank but I might buy a 5 gallon for my male instead so it will also have a heater, and filter. I also have LED lights for my tank and it lights up a lot better than yours does. My lights are on the lid of the tank. My suggestion would be go to Petco and get a Petpals card so you save money. I bought a $70 10 gallon tank for only $40. I jumped on that instantly. To see my tank just click the aquariums tab beneath my <---name and then click on the link to see my tank.
txbettaowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #16 
jden

So I would jist need to stick the sponge onto the filter and that should help with the flow? Would changing the water 25% once a week a good idea? This is pretty much my first time raising a betta
Old 12-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #17 
DragonFish

The little round sponge made by Fluval you can just stick over the filter intake, it should fit over it and stay just fine on its own. It'll slow the outflow a little, but not by too much.....so you'll probably need to baffle that too. Just pick up some other filter sponge, the ones that come in flat pieces, cut a little square out of the big piece and secure it to the outflow with a rubber band/hairband without metal. Like so:

After your tank has established its cycle and all your levels are stable, you can go down to making 25-30% water changes once per week with a gravel vacuum, but until then you'll need to make several small partial changes to keep the ammonia from getting up to high. Callistra posted some great links on the previous page, I suggest reading those over and probably looking into picking up a a liquid test kit(not the strips, those tend to be quite inaccurate)to monitor your levels.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #18 
jden

Hmm I found the sponges at petsmart so that will be on soon. Probably will get a test kit too. Now whats left is to cycle the tank. This is gonna take a while. Hah. Thank you all for your suggestions
Old 12-13-2012, 12:59 PM   #19 
Katy

Congrats on becoming a new betta mom! Looks like you've gotten some great advice and your new 10G looks great! The only thing I would add is some API stress coat- didn't catch which conditioner you are using (I prefer Prime) but at least while your little guy's tail is healing stress coat would be a good addition.

I also reiterate being sure not to leave the light on at night- the aquarium light should not be on when the room is dark- the fish see their reflection and it stresses them out IMO. You may end up with a fish that flares all night if you do!
Katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #20 
DragonFish

You're very welcome! :) Good luck!