Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #1 
BettaPirate

African Dwarf Frog Questions

I was told at the fish store that it is best to have at least three of these in a tank because they are social, will being out numbered make my betta freak out? Does the inch per fish rule apply to frogs or do they have different rules? Could I have a successful community with a 10 gallon tank, 1 betta and 3 dwarf frogs?

This is not something I plan on doing soon but I am considering for sometime in the next year or so.
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 AM   #2 
logisticsguy

Just my opinion here but ADFs and betta do not always get along well. My first ADF was chased for his life by one betta and then bit a chunk of tail off another betta, I now have 3 frogs in their own environment and both frogs and betta seem much happier for it. Each species has specific care needs and its much easier for me to keep them separate. Others have had more luck than I did keeping them together. The frogs are a social animal and can sing...very cool.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 AM   #3 
Juicebox

they say u need 2.5 gallon per frog and 2.5 gallon per betta,so it should be ok for 3 frog and a beta in a 10 gallon, would help to have loads of hiding spots, a couple caves,some real plants to help with the ammonia and nitrates and all that bad stuff that builds up

main problem i forsee is the betta eating most the bloodworms you put in for the frogs and he will get fat and bloated and unhealthy . maybe feed the betta seperately if possibly,cup him while the frogs eat or something
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:40 PM   #4 
BettaPirate

hmm... this sounds complicated. maybe I will just get the frogs their own tank if i go that direction. thanks
BettaPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #5 
Juicebox

people do keep them together,if u dont want the hassel of taking out the betta every time u feed the frogs u can buy a long prongs and then u can pick up some bloodworms in it and manually place it in the bottom of the tank and beside the frogs mouth and hopefully that way the betta wont get it and the frogs will,theres videos on it on youtube
Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote