Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #1 
pittipuppylove

Temperature and Beneficial Bacteria

Hi all,

Tomorrow is my last final exam for this term (thank goodness), and I'll be moving all of my tanks back home. Since the exam doesn't start until noon, I was planning on breaking down all of the tanks in the morning and getting them loaded into the back of my car; the fish and filter media would stay in the room in their cups/bags inside a cooler so they stay warm. Then I'd be able to get off campus and be well on my way home before it gets too dark (highways and I don't get along at night).

However, I just considered the bacteria in the substrate - will it be able to handle the cooler temperature in my car for around two hours while I'm taking the exam? The forecast puts the temp in the mid- to low- 40's tomorrow, so it won't be freezing, but it's still not the toasty 80*F that the tanks are normally at. I know that the vast majority of the bacteria stays in the filter, but I'd rather keep as much of it as possible to reduce the chance of a mini-cycle when I get home.

Thanks for any help or advice!
Leah
Posted via Mobile Device
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #2 
sandybottom
Reference Team

can you get another cooler? how much you talking about?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #3 
pittipuppylove

lol A total of 38 gallons spread across five different tanks - I'm one of those strange college students with "big" (over a gallon) tanks. There's no way I could get a cooler that would fit my 15 gallon

Getting everything torn down took longer than expected, so I ended up not having enough time to load the tanks into my car anyway. They just stayed in my room while I was in the exam and got loaded afterward.

As much as I love my fish, I'd have to say that dismantiling five tanks, loading them into a car, unloading them at home, and getting everyone settled in afterwards is a less-than-enjoyable experience.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 AM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

no doubt. i don't envy you tonight.sound like you've got your work cut out for you. did you have to travel far?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 AM   #5 
pittipuppylove

It wasn't too horrible - moving day is just less than fun no matter what, and adding fish doesn't help. My building has the worst design for trying to get cars in and out on days when students are moving as there are probably around five hundred students living between two buildings that share a small parking area with space for seven cars. Add to that that everyone is more or less brain-dead from final exams and just want to get off campus, and you get a very irksome experience for everyone involved. From school to home, it's approximately a three hour drive pretty much completely on the highway - really not a bad trip once you get used to all of the semis.

This was the first time I've moved all five of the tanks though - lol at the beginning of this term, I started out with a 10 gallon and a 5 gallon. So I suspect that the process will get easier as I get more experience moving all of them. The two 5 gallon tanks and one 2 gallon hospital tank were easy, and even the 10 gallon isn't too bad, but the 15 gallon is just a bear to move. *sigh* The things we do for our fish.