Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #1 
Solaris

Is this a good heater?

I just got back from the pet store where I bought some stuff for my new aquarium. Gravel, a siphon, water test kit and a heater.

This is the one: http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/11230

Does anyone have this particular heater? I thought I'd get some opinions before I opened the box, just in case it's bad and I have to return it.

Also, the heater is going to have to be on the same side of the tank as the filter. Would that be a problem?
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #2 
shellieca

Can't comment on that particular heater but I have all my heaters next to my filters & the the thermometer on the opposite side; heater back left, thermometer front right.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #3 
sandybottom
Reference Team

best to keep heater next to the filter,to heat the tank evenly. i have not tried that brand. the preset heaters i have had have been unreliable. plus, if you want to treat for parasites or other sickness, it would be best to have an adjustable.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:04 PM   #4 
Solaris

Huh. I didn't realise that the website says "pre-set". Mine has a temperature dial.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

should work then. hagen is a pretty good company. i think they own fluval. adjustables are 10x better.ime.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:36 AM   #6 
Option

Personally, I am not a fan of the pre-set heaters. Many of the smaller (< 50 watts) heaters are always pre-set and only get the tank up to about 74 degrees and that's the warmest it will ever go. There are times when you may need the heater to get the temp up to 80 degrees (i.e., breeding conditions) and you would want a heater you dial up the temp as needed.
Option is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #7 
sandybottom
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
should work then. hagen is a pretty good company. i think they own fluval. adjustables are 10x better.ime.
i looked at that link again. it was confusing ,until you read the fine print. it says that the high end of the temp range only goes to 82. i'd get something stronger in case you have to medicate at a higher temp.