Betta Fish Forum banner

Is this a good heater?

548 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  sandybottom 
#1 ·
I just got back from the pet store where I bought some stuff for my new aquarium. Gravel, a siphon, water test kit and a heater.

This is the one: http://usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Heating/Heaters/11230

Does anyone have this particular heater? I thought I'd get some opinions before I opened the box, just in case it's bad and I have to return it.

Also, the heater is going to have to be on the same side of the tank as the filter. Would that be a problem?

#3 ·
best to keep heater next to the filter,to heat the tank evenly. i have not tried that brand. the preset heaters i have had have been unreliable. plus, if you want to treat for parasites or other sickness, it would be best to have an adjustable.

#6 ·
Personally, I am not a fan of the pre-set heaters. Many of the smaller (< 50 watts) heaters are always pre-set and only get the tank up to about 74 degrees and that's the warmest it will ever go. There are times when you may need the heater to get the temp up to 80 degrees (i.e., breeding conditions) and you would want a heater you dial up the temp as needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.