Okay. I got my fish in September, and for a while he was okay, but then he started exhibiting signs of fin rot. No matter what I did, it wouldn't go away. His fins just keep getting more raggedy.
1. Dulled colors, a weird grey patch on dorsal fin (not fuzzy or raised, just like, colored that way.
2. (2 months ago) A rip down his tail fin caused by a decoration that has since been removed, then two, as well as a couple on his lower fin.
3. (Since 3 months ago) VERY Slow, U-shaped receding that starts with greying of the edges and then just falls off.
4. (Since 2 months ago) Reddening of the lower fin (but no hemorrhaging)
5. (Since 2 months ago) Greying of the stomach.
6. (Since a month or two ago) Yellowing of the head, stomach, BASE ONLY of pectoral fins, and all of ventral fins, but not body, even under a flashlight.
7. Swim bladder a couple times a month ago but seemed to clear, but now he has a bit of a bloat.
8. WITHIN THE LAST WEEK: Long, white poop (looks more mucous-y (fuzzy) than just white). I know that is usually internal parasites, but I have no plants and I've been feeding him dry pellets and sometimes freeze dried bloodworms, and I don't have live plants.
9. He's always darted around the front of the tank back and forth, but I thought it was just his reflection, especially since I've never seen him try to scratch himself on anything.
I'm just at a loss because I feel like no matter what I do, he gets worse, and I can't figure out what's wrong with him. I suspect a bacterial (perhaps aeromonas, particularly stubborn strain) infection, rather than a parasite, though a parasite could have happened before I got him. It would explain why anything would have progressed so slowly. I got him from PetSmart and I wouldn't think they'd have given him food with parasites in it either.
Any help would be appreciated, particulary diagnosis and a suggestion of treatment, but bear in mind that I've done just about everything to no avail.
TREATMENTS DONE (in chronological order NOT AT ONCE):
Aquarium Salt a few times in the past
Maracyn 2 1x
Triple Sulfa 1x
CopperSafe 2x (since stopped because I don't think he has velvet and because it's too harsh)
Maracyn 1 & 2 - 2x
Darkened tank, Coppersafe (once again, since stopped), and raised temp to 82* from 80*
I understand I may have overmedicated, but now I know something is wrong and am at a loss for what to do.
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82* Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? I use the spray bar from the filter to move water
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and the occasional freeze dried blood worm and VitaChem once daily
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 pellets soaked in vitachem in the morning and 2 in the evening, 1 fasting day per week.
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 33%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Amquel, NovAqua, and VitaChem
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Ammonia: <.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm
Symptoms and Treatment ALL ANSWERED ABOVE
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him in September perhaps a little less than fully grown, so 3 months with me
Bloat and poop in tank
Yellowing of head and fins
Yellowing/Whitening of belly and fins but not body
White poop in a blue cup once removed with a turkey baster
Thank you for any help!