Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 PM   #11 
kirbomatic

OK, I wanted to update everyone on how he's doing. It's funny, before I put the medicine in at all, he was pooping so much, but not as much once I actually put laxatives and the general cure in. Like, he's not constipated or anything, just he had really loose stool before in addition to it being all white. Anyways, I'm happy to report that today his poop was barely white at all. I'm not sure if I've seen any parasites come out of him yet, but if the poop started going back to normal when I added the medicine, it definitely makes me a lot more confident about this diagnosis. I'm about to add the second dose after the water change. Still optimistic that this is what has been plaguing him and I both for the past couple months.
kirbomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:29 PM   #12 
Sakura8

It's also okay to continue treating with the General Cure for another 5 day course, just to be on the safe side. Very happy to hear that things are getting back to normal for him. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 PM   #13 
kirbomatic

Ok, I just got finished with one treatment course per instructions on the box (once on the first day, once two days later after a water change), and although his poo is no longer white, he doesn't poop much at all. He still looks kind of constipated too, and he just looks bad. Also, his head is really yellow and I don't know that it's natural. Am I just worrying too much? His fins look so ragged, and refuse to grow back at all. How will I know when he's free of illness?

I'm really sorry I'm such a pest, I just feel like I don't know what I'm doing ha, and I'm nervous
Old 12-18-2012, 12:15 AM   #14 
Sakura8

The yellowing is probably natural coloring, possibly a stress-related response to being sick. It doesn't look like velvet as far as I can tell so no worries there.

Is he in epsom salt? I'd recommend at least 2-3 tsps per gallon and feed him well with high protein foods. Frozen daphnia and brine shrimp will help with the, er, digestive process.

I don't see any fin rot so it's likely his fins are just a little ragged from stress or even from the aging process. A betta's fins are so delicate and thin and as a betta grows and ages, the fins become even more delicate and prone to tearing. As long as the water remains clean, the chances of infection are minimal.

You're doing a great job with him. :)
Old 12-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #15 
Simpleflossi

I have exactly the same problem with my fish. Mine looks the spitting image. There is a red tint at the end of his fins and they look ripped and melted. He has been treated for fin rot twice which seemed to make him sicker and he got no better. Aside from his appearance, he is lively and eats very well.

I'm am completely clueless, it has been going on for well over a month.
Simpleflossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #16 
Simpleflossi

I might go ahead and take the advice on this board as my fish matches every single problem. He is very bloated too.

Can I ask, how long do I leave him in the salt mixture for? And is that three tsps for every gallon, or do you recommend JUST a gallon in the hospital tank?
Thanks
Simpleflossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:35 PM   #17 
Sakura8

With epsom salts, you can leave him in a 3 tsps per gallon mixture for as long as necessary.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:23 PM   #18 
kirbomatic

Ughh. I just put in the second dose of his second treatment of general cure, and he still seems awful. The only thing that sort of got better is the white poop, but now he's not pooping at all! He looks more bloated than before and his fins are still tattered. Is there anything else it could be? How long before he's supposed to get better? I've all but given up on this fish.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #19 
Sakura8

I was afraid of this. It seems like he's gotten a secondary bacterial infection. :(. Sometimes with parasites, the meds may kill the worms but then the fish has difficulty expelling the dead worms. The rotting bodies cause bacterial infections.

If he's eating, soak his food well in the medicated water as the active ingredient in General Cure can be effective for internal infections but only if fed. Alternatively, Seachem Kanaplex is very effective both as a medicated feed and as a soak but it may need to be ordered online.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #20 
kirbomatic

Wow, that's...disgusting
So, just soak his food in general cure? I was thinking I'd put him in a 3 tsp of epsom salt 1 gallon tank for a bit and see if it improves. Do you think that would help?

Tags
aeromonas, betta, bloat, fin rot, parasite