Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #31 
carbonxxkidd

I will do that. I plan on adding the females last though, after I get the other fish I want in there so they don't get too aggressive. Plants and filter scheduled to come tomorrow (I hope, if UPS and USPS are on time) so I will get everything set up tomorrow and let it sit for a week before adding fish. If I get really antsy, I might add a few platies for color and to help feed the cycle/plants. I definitely plan on buying females if I see some I like though before I am ready to add and QTing them, I've already seen a few I really liked and had to force myself to hold off, lol.

My mom is going to give me the entire piece of filter floss she has in her Eheim (I actually made a typo, it's the 2213 too).
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #32 
carbonxxkidd

My filter came today! It is all set up and ready to go.

I bought a new 150w heater, and I don't know if Aqueon just sucks or what but there is already water INSIDE the heater so I need to go return it.

Plants are MIA, the USPS website said their expected delivery was today, but the mailman just came and no plants. So hopefully he will come at a reasonable time tomorrow.

My family is celebrating Xmas tomorrow so I probably won't get a chance to do much unless the plants come early. My mom is cleaning her tank on Sunday, so I will get used filter floss then. I have the day off too, so I can spend all day arranging my tank if I want, lol.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #33 
carbonxxkidd

Jumped the gun and bought 4 females tonight. Technically, they only cost me 81 cents, because I had $10 in Petco bucks. I originally bought the Aqueon heater using that $10, but when I returned it they said I had to buy something else right away or I would lose that money, so I bought the girls.

I'm not really sure what to do with them now though, I don't have enough tanks to quarantine them all separately unless I put them in mason jars (unheated) or float them in either the new tank or my 5gal with the boys. I don't plan on adding them to the 29g for a few weeks - I'd like to get everything else in there first (plants, other fish) and add them last. Here are a few quick cell phone pics of the new girls (all VT):

Red - looks like she might have a bit of fin rot unless that black is normal. Out of the 4, she holds her pectoral fins against her body, almost constantly. Assuming this is a stress related thing.

Pink marble? This was actually the first one I picked out, she was very unique.

Green/blue with red undertones. She's the only one with obvious stress stripes.

Yellow, maybe marble? She reminded me of my late male, Scully.

All the girls got a full 100% water change in their cups immediately after they came in my house. They were also all offered some live daphnia, which they devoured. All in all they seem pretty young (small) but healthy, so I have high hopes. Now to keep them happy until they can actually go in their tank!

Last edited by carbonxxkidd; 12-21-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #34 
carbonxxkidd

Bought three more females today, CTs. I think I am probably going to add them in the tank first, in a couple days, because I am just that impatient, lol. Plants also came today (finally!!!) so I got the tank set up, I think how I want it for now. Hopefully all the plants will live. Here are some photos of the new girls first, and then the planted tank:

My mom brought me her filter media and a couple of buckets of her tank water to add (which is awesome for the plants, because she has ridiculous amounts of nitrates). I also dosed with Flourish Complete right away.

So far so good! :D
Old 12-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #35 
MSG

Replace the kitchen bath bulb ASAP.

I have the same GE K&B bulb, but it's not going to do much other than kill your plants. It's brighter than the OEM stock bulb, but does NOTHING for LIVE plants.

50% of the plants that I tested that bulb on are DEAD/melted. Should have switched it out 2 weeks ago, but I'm actually going to swap out the bulb after I post this.
  • Also when you use fertilizers WITHOUT proper lighting, your plants CAN'T utilize the nutrients in the water.

Also, yesterday when I was in I FINALLY located a really good source of 6500K rated CFL bulbs for $2.50 each.

Good start on arrangement, but let your tank plants settle in for at least 1-2 weeks before you decide on a permanant location for them. Tallest plants in the back unless you want your tank to look like a jungle/forest.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 06:05 PM   #36 
carbonxxkidd

My bulb is a 6500k Philips daylight bulb...20w t12. This will kill my plants??? :(
Old 12-22-2012, 06:21 PM   #37 
MSG

I thought you were using a kitchen & bath long fluorescent tube?

6500K is exactly what you need.

Use a sharpie to write down the date you FIRST started using the bulb. After 10/12 months the "labeled" one should be replaced with a brand new one because the coating that's used to replicate the 6500K range that plants NEED to process nutrients fades over time.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #38 
carbonxxkidd

No, lol my mom originally gave me a k&b bulb but I replaced it when I learned that I needed 6500k. Still think my wattage is a bit low but all my plants are supposed to be low light. I got 2 6500k bulbs at Home Depot for $9.99! Good call on writing the date down.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #39 
MSG

Simple thing, that no one ever considers.

I don't know about you, but it seems like those CFL bulbs don't last as long as the companies want you to believe.

Marking lights with a date, helps keep track of that. Sharpie markers work the best.

With the date on the bulb, before I bring these hazardous waste containers to the hardware store for recycling, I can calculate how long they lasted before they broke down

12hrs/day x 365 x 2-3 but hopefully 5 years = total hours used.

Some of these bulbs are supposedly rated to last 10,000 hours. I highly DOUBT that. That's under laboratory conditions, maybe if you used it for 3-5 hours a day mounted in a open air fixture. Enclosed fixture will generate more HEAT. Excess heat usually leads to premature failure.

I would try to find ANOTHER hood, & mount it in the front. You'll have to move it EVERY time you want to feed the fish, but I think your plants need the extra light.

I've tested it out, & STANDARD 20W fluorescent light isn't enough in my opinion. Thanks for mentioning the HD price, I need to grab a pair myself next time I pass by one.

For my 30G Acrylic that I dismantled. I used a 65W Coralife fixture. Looked GREAT, but the ballast overheated & died earlier than I wanted due to excess HEAT. I think the bulb is still okay though.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #40 
carbonxxkidd

Yeah, I've noticed already the plants in the front aren't getting much light. I will definitely look for a second light, probably won't be able to find the same kind as the one I have though. How long does it usually take before you can tell how your plants are handling the light?

Tags
29 gallon, community tank, planted aquarium, sorority