Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Good grief the poor fella looks like he is going to pop x.x It's not SBD that is for sure. His scales do not even seem to be sticking out. I still wonder if it could be parasites? Though usually by then the fish stops eating.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Its not uncommon for CT to look bloated-it is due to their body shape...I would feed the guy and get his digestive system going...Especially since he is otherwise acting okay...

Other things it could be is fatty liver or a tumor....neither have treatments.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #13 
happypappy

"Did you see his photo? I have another crowntail (black orchid) And he has been with me for a year. Not problems such as this. I will start him back on food tonight. What do you recommend for feeding?? I have fed him mainly with Aqueon betta pellets with a weekly treat of thawed shrimp or worms.

I will let you know how he does. Thanks so much for your help.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #14 
callistra

I would feed NLS betta pellets.

Personally, I would not feed until you see him poop. I would have him in epsoms salts and if still no poop after a full week on epsoms, I would feed half a shelled pea pulled into little bits at a time and then wait another couple days. If it's growing and you're not feeding then one of a few things is happening.. either this is a tumor of some kind or he has an internal infection. Being able to see what the quality of his poop is will help determine if there's anything wrong going on inside as you will be able to see it in the poop.

To monitor poop you can cup him or put him in a hospital tank without any gravel in the bottom.

That is definitely not normal. Something is up.

Last edited by callistra; 12-14-2012 at 04:40 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

THAT is not a full belly though o_o That is a "looks like I was fed a bottle of food" size belly Though I will say CTs do have the rounder bellies. Just.... not like that
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM   #16 
Joytattoo

zuccine saved my little guy
Joytattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #17 
happypappy

swollen belly

Here's an update on the swollen belly betta:

I put him in an emply tank and have fed him some pellets. He is still in epsom salt water. His belly is larger! And looks like it's just air inside! I mean kind of translucent -- not like he has asolid tumor or overfed. He still acts like anormal betta, but one day i am afraid he is going to pop! Really don't know what else to do.........

Thanks to those who have helped.
happypappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #18 
callistra

It sounds like an internal infection. Stop feeding, increase epsoms.. not sure where you're at.. do at least 1 tsp per gallon but you can double that at this point. Also get some good internal antibiotics. I would get Kanaplex. If you can't find Kanaplex look for Maracyn Plus. If you can't find that get Furan 2.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:29 PM   #19 
aemaki09

Wow! I have a CT with a large belly like that too, not nearly that big but its large and always has been so I thought that yours was going to be just a normal looking big belly, till I saw that Pic.
you should probably get some anti bacterial/parasitic meds going.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote