Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #1 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
fin rot and clean water?!

umm... fin rot... again... I don't know why!

King Dedede's got fin rot once again! I've been trying AQ salt for the last 3 days, but nothing is working! I noticed his tail has been "sliced" into 2 parts. the water is also clean... I can't figure out what's happening and the fin rot is slowly becoming severe! I'll add some pictures later, but for now, can someone just please help?
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:54 PM   #2 
Laki

A split is either from mishandling, or an injury on a plant. If the edges are bitten out, it would be him biting but a split is caused by something.
It's not fin rot .. yet. Fin rot develops overtime in dirty water after a split or bite. It should heal itself just keep the water nice, clean and warm.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #3 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
A split is either from mishandling, or an injury on a plant. If the edges are bitten out, it would be him biting but a split is caused by something.
It's not fin rot .. yet. Fin rot develops overtime in dirty water after a split or bite. It should heal itself just keep the water nice, clean and warm.
but the tips of his tail are black! doesn't that mean fin rot?? (also, I have no plants)
Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 
Kithy

It's hard to say without pictures. How often have you been changing the water since you noticed the problem?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #5 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
It's hard to say without pictures. How often have you been changing the water since you noticed the problem?
I only changed the water for AQ salt
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #6 
Laki

If the edges are black, he's got finrot probably. This is not a new problem though, chronic water conditions led to this. The sliced sections can certainly succumb to infection, meanwhile, you will NEED a heater to warm his water to the required temperature.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:39 PM   #7 
Little Leaf

Quote:
If the edges are black, he's got finrot probably. This is not a new problem though, chronic water conditions led to this. The sliced sections can certainly succumb to infection, meanwhile, you will NEED a heater to warm his water to the required temperature.
I use a light to heat the tank. I can't get a heater right now. also, what do the words chronic and succumb mean? and what's the required temp??
Old 12-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #8 
Laki

Chronic means long term.
Succumb means that the slice in the tail will eventually get rot unless you tackle it more aggressively:
Get a thermometer (since you can't get a heater) and try to get the water to stay at a constant 78-80F on the thermometer. The problem with heating it with a lamp is that when you turn off the lamp, the water gets cold again therefore the water is not stable enough to keep him healthy.
Unfortunately when something like this happens to their tails all we can do is keep the water clean and warm. Since you cannot go get aggressive medications which will knock out his black-edged rot, you will have to just make him as comfortable as you can.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #9 
Little Leaf

Quote:
Chronic means long term.
Succumb means that the slice in the tail will eventually get rot unless you tackle it more aggressively:
Get a thermometer (since you can't get a heater) and try to get the water to stay at a constant 78-80F on the thermometer. The problem with heating it with a lamp is that when you turn off the lamp, the water gets cold again therefore the water is not stable enough to keep him healthy.
Unfortunately when something like this happens to their tails all we can do is keep the water clean and warm. Since you cannot go get aggressive medications which will knock out his black-edged rot, you will have to just make him as comfortable as you can.
okay. I DO have a thermometer. now... saying I'll have to make my betta comfortable... how do I do that?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #10 
Little Leaf

so.... um.... how DO I make my betta comfortable??

Tags
no shoving advice, oh good grief!