What size is your tank? 10 G
What temperature is your tank? 78f
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? filter only
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 1-2 Oto's

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellet
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 every 1-2 days, depending on how he looks.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? This was first in 3 weeks, I know they need more frequent, but I was out for a surgery and couldn't get a fish sitter.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 60-70
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, since last night when I performed the water change, he's developed an open wound, with white fuzzy stuff. Before, had an odd bump on other side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Yes, he's clearly not feeling well. The person who was feeding him while I was out over fed. I gave him peas, which helped him clear out, and he was feeling better...till yesterday's water change.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I have had him for 1.5 years.
Attached Images

Schwannsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:04 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

The pic has a glare so its a little difficult to see but my suggestion is testing the water since it was 3 wks since the last water change there may be some extra ammonia and/or other toxins built up. I would do another 50% water change to be on the safe side if you can't test the water with a liquid test kit. I wouldn't jump to meds, but that's me, I would see how he does with the clean water, if it seems to be getting worse or not improving at all then I'd QT him & see about meds. Glad your feeling better.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #3 
Schwannsee

Thanks! I don't have a real QT, as he was supposed to be the only fish in that tank, (it's at work). Would his cup work if it comes to that? Maybe float it so he stays warm?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #4 
Syriiven

Ammonia would build up in his cup too fast. If you could get your hands on a 1 gallon and keep it at the right temp that would work as a qt tank. I had to use a tupperware container for a while till I got two 1 gs. But Shellieca's right, clean water is the best thing right now. If you feel super fretful though, you could add aq salt (about 1 tsp per 5 gallons I think it is) to help the healing process along. I don't think it would do any harm to anything else.

Hope he gets better soon though.
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #5 
Schwannsee

Very good point. Will just keep changing his water and hope for the best. He's a tough dude, still eating/attacking anything that falls into the tank.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #6 
Aus

He's got a nasty infection, and I'd be treating a fish with an open/fuzzy wound with a broad spectrum antibiotic like Kanaplex and/or Furan-2 and quickly, before it went systemic. The fuzz is probably saprolegnia, an opportunistic mold that likes to grow on necrotising flesh - problem there is, in a weakened fish it can start chowing down on healthy tissue surrounding the wound, as well.

So I'd yeah - treat with antibiotic. Maybe follow with antifungal after that if the mold persists.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #7 
Schwannsee

I added furan today when I got into the office. He looks terrible though. Also has a new open sore. Eating well, but belly is bloaty, displaying stress-stripes, and just not himself. Poor fish.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #8 
callistra

You need to test your water since you haven't been keeping up with changes. Test ammonia and nitrates. Ammonia will mean your cycle has broken down and nitrates will tell you if you need to make more water changes. After missing so many water changes you may need to make several back to back changes to get the water up to part. You need to change at least 20% weekly.

Furan 2 is a good external antibiotic but probably won't do much for fungus which that may be. It also won't treat anything internal which he may have. I suggest getting Kanaplex instead for these two reasons if he is not well after the furan -2 treatment. In the meantime I would acclimate him up at at least 1 tsp per gallon epsom salt - needs to be predissolved and needs to be pure with no additives as per the ingredients label. I know CVS Pharmacy sells some, but you can usually find it at your local grocery store in the pharmacy section. This will help with the bloat and also has natural antifungal properties. Watch his poop. See if it's ballish (consitpation) or has some odd color changes like white, clear, stringy or segmented (infection)

You feed as little as one pellet every two days? That's not enough. If you're feeding a standard sized pellet he should be getting 3-4 a day, split up into twice a day feedings, and one fast day a week. If you're feeding smaller ones like NLS he needs 5+ a day. I would also feed a high quality protein pellet like Omega One or NLS.

To keep him warm during treatment if you don't want to treat in your tank (Kanaplex won't crash your cycle but Furan 2 might) you can cup him and float in the tank. With a cup that small he will need twice a day 100% water changes (like one am one pm).. you can just use tank water.

Last edited by callistra; 12-14-2012 at 06:35 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #9 
Schwannsee

Thanks. I will take a sample in for testing tonight. He's getting another cleaning tomorrow, regardless. I will look for Kanaplex as well.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #10 
Schwannsee

Okey dokey, his water tested good, ammonia @ 0-.25 ppm, Nitrite at 0, nitrate at 0 ppm before a massive water change.
During said water change, the fluff fell off his wound, leaving a giant crater in his side. He's staring at me, so I can't get a photo, but it's pretty ugly. Fins normal, except his little arm fins, pectorals? ventrals? he has those squashed against the injury/infection sites.
I'm giving him a few days on meds, but he is clearly so unhappy.How do you decide it's time to euthanize?

And in case he doesn't improve, does anyone in WA have Finquel in very small packets? I only have 3 little fish total, so I hate to buy a whole bottle of the stuff.