Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #1 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
Question Ingredients of Betta Food

My betta is given AQUEON Color Enhancing Betta Food. The PetCO guy said that this is made of bloodworms; is this true? I did not see them listed in the ingredients.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Really, there just seems to be no limit to the ridiculousness of pet store employee advice....
No, there aren't bloodworms in any pellet that I know of unless its something they don't list in the ingredients, which I highly doubt.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #3 
Syriiven

If you want to boost your betta's colors I would suggest simply making them happy. They're most vibrant when they're warm, safe, fed, etc. =)

As a food though, I'd definitely recommon a mix of Omega One pellets (small and easy for them to eat) and a live/frozen food like daphnia or bloodworms. Real food is very nutritious for them, though not too much since it's much more filling than a processed pellet. =)
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #4 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
the aqueon pellets fit just fine, and the omega one are more expensive and i hear they have tons of fillers.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #5 
DragonFish

Actually its the other way around; Aqueon pellets have more fillers then Omega One.
Aqueon pellets are OK, not the worst you could feed, but Omega One and New Life Spectrum are a higher quality brands and have less filler.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

+1 again for Dragonfish.
Compare the ingredients of the three and you will find that the best is New Life Spectrum, Omega One is next and Aqueon is last. That is also in order from most expensive to least expensive.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #7 
callistra

+1^ exactly you get what you pay for.

Omega One and NLS Betta are the best pellets on the market. Aquaon pellets are wheat based which can lead to constpation. The "fillters" in Omega One are mostly a bunch of helpful vitamins... NLS is still my favorite.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Between Omega One and NLS, I have to say I'm definitely a bigger fan of NLS as well. I especially like how they include garlic, which makes them a little more enticing to picker bettas and I believe helps in preventing internal parasites.

And on the subject of price....honestly, though they may be on the pricier side, personally I think its worth it for the over-all health and well being of your fish to have a higher quality food for them. I shelled out the money for NLS finally after trying several different brands(including Aqueon and Omega One)a few months ago and never looked back, its wonderful stuff.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:57 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

Aqueon isn't bad, but it's not good either. It's true Omega One is expensive, but it has less fillers than Aqueon. Once you hear something from someone, it doesn't always mean they're right. Always search it up first.

And for Omega and NLS, NLS is much better due to the fact that it has garlic in it and Omega seems to have wheat gluten. (commonly used filler) Also keep in mind that Hikari changed their ingredients. Full of fillers now than before.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #10 
ravenwinds

NLS are my bettas favorite mass marketed food. I have tried a few samples of other pellets,the larger like Aqueon or...(sorry I don't remeber name but it was also developed woth a top betta breeder...his name is part of food's name...sorry I don't remember more)...anyway, I always ended up by fishing food out of ...especially the kind whose name I can't remember! None of my fish would eat these inferior pellets; the bettas would rather starve than eat these pellets
Now, my bettas eat NLS,, occasionally Omega One, and, lately, sam8ps earthworm of super 8 blend which I order through aquabid. Of course, over half of what I feed them are live white and grindal worms and frozen bloodworms w/occasional brine shrimp or emerald entree.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote