Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 05:06 PM   #1 
uzanybug

Red face Hi. I'm Stacy and this is Finlay....

Hello everyone.

Finlay is lots of fun. He was very active in his little travel cup at the Petco and has beautiful healthy color and bright eyes. He's a little smaller than most of the other bettas at the shop, but maybe that just means he's younger. He's my first pet, so I'm just learning.

He's a great companion-fish. He follows what I'm doing in the room and pays attention whenever I'm close by. He will jump up for his pellets before I even drop them into the tank, so he basically jumps and eats off the tip of my finger. His aim is getting better. Yesterday, I fed him a live house spider, and boy, did he get excited about that! I play with him with a mirror for a few minutes a day, so he can stay active, since is tank is so little.

I live in a small room and Findlay lives in a 1/2 gallon tank, so we're both a little cramped. I'm changing or partially changing his water very 3-4 days, and keeping the room really warm for him. That's all I can do right now. I hope he can stay healthy. I would hate to do anything bad for him.

Looking forward to chatting with you guys and learning from each other.
Attached Images

Last edited by uzanybug; 12-13-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add photo
uzanybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:47 PM   #2 
Sena Hansler

welcome to the forum. :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:04 PM   #3 
uzanybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks, Sena. It's fun to have a place to talk about my new passion and I hope to learn how to take good care of Finlay.
Is that a young betta in your avatar?
You wouldn't happen to know how to remove the huge picture from my first post, would you? If any moderator sees this, please feel free to help me out with that. I'm new and just learning.

Last edited by uzanybug; 12-13-2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: just learning how posting features work
Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #4 
sunstar93

I love blue VTs(:
Welcome to the forum!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 PM   #5 
Sena Hansler

Actually that is a plakat koi female betta, who died due to a bad store's lack of care

As for posts and pictures you can only edit them for 15 minutes after, then it "locks" so to say. The picture is fine ^_^
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #6 
uzanybug

Thanks for the welcome, Sunstar. I just checked out your album of your blue VT Leo. He's so pretty. Was he your first?
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #7 
sunstar93

Yes he was my first(:
he was the last one at Petsmart who wasn't dead so I got him...and he's been through so much. I was not the best betta mommy (he's had ammonia burns, salt burns, bloat, you name it). right now he's fighting off velvet. He's a little fighter though so I'm praying he makes it!!
I have had a few since I first bought him but now I have just him and Toby, my delta tail. But Leo will always be special(:
And up close...he's not so pretty haha. But he's a special little guy I love him so much
Old 12-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #8 
uzanybug

Poor little guy. Velvet sounds like no fun. Sending happy, healthy fishy thoughts for Leo your way. Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have to learn and I'm sure you've always tried your best for him.
Yet, I know what you mean about feeling like a bad fish parent. I'm learning so much, and realizing how much there is to learn. Someone gifted me Finlay's 1/2 gallon tank and told me it would be perfect for a betta and 1-2 snails. (Fortunately for Finlay, I was too broke to get the snails.) I hung on her every word about food, water changes, and everything. I appreciate her introducing me to fish keeping, but I'm so glad I looked beyond that advice or I still would have been doing water changes only once a week. Now, I'm roasting myself with a heater in my room to keep my fish warm! This seems like a wonderful community of people who love their fish and want to be good fish keepers. I hope I can get a bigger tank, a heater, thermometer, some real plants. Finlay has a holiday wish list. He's a wonderful fish. He really pays attention whenever I'm around and isn't lost in his own fishy world. I think that's the neatest thing. I now have his picture as the wallpaper on my phone!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #9 
uzanybug

Reply to Sunstar

Poor little guy. Velvet sounds like no fun. Sending happy, healthy fishy thoughts for Leo your way. Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have to learn and I'm sure you've always tried your best for him.
Yet, I know what you mean about feeling like a bad fish parent. I'm learning so much, and realizing how much there is to learn. Someone gifted me Finlay's 1/2 gallon tank and told me it would be perfect for a betta and 1-2 snails. (Fortunately for Finlay, I was too broke to get the snails.) I hung on her every word about food, water changes, and everything. I appreciate her introducing me to fish keeping, but I'm so glad I looked beyond that advice or I still would have been doing water changes only once a week. Now, I'm roasting myself with a heater in my room to keep my fish warm! This seems like a wonderful community of people who love their fish and want to be good fish keepers. I hope I can get a bigger tank, a heater, thermometer, some real plants. Finlay has a holiday wish list. He's a wonderful fish. He really pays attention whenever I'm around and isn't lost in his own fishy world. I think that's the neatest thing. I now have his picture as the wallpaper on my phone!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 PM   #10 
sunstar93

Thank you! Leo appreciates the thoughts! He's nearly died 3 times so I'm hoping this will just be another notch in his belt, so to speak haha. The only good thing is that I've learned a lot and am able to teach others now!
And don't worry about it! A .5 tank is good for now (and don't throw it away it can be a good hospital tank should he ever get sick!). You were smart to look for additional care- although I am sure your friend had the best of intentions and I am glad your friend introduced you to fish as now we have another betta lover on the site(:
I have tried my hand at real plants...that was a fail haha. But if you find that real plants dont work out, Petco silk plants are pretty good too!
Lol well a nice cheap tank is the 1.5 gallon Tetra cube from Walmart, or the 3 gallon tetra half moon tank (I have both haha). They are both very easy to heat- I recommend the Top Fin adjustable heater from Petsmart (save yourself money in the long run and go for an adjustable heater now...that way if you ever need to adjust the temperature you can! And it is not too expensive). With the 1.5 cube, you don't have to use the filter it comes with (in fact I actually recommend to not use it). But the 3 gallon is pretty nice, roomy and the filter is good. And it comes with a bubbler...instant betta fun (;
Haha I have a wish list going as well, I'm going to turn my 10 gallon into a hermit crab home and get another tank for Toby....I have so many haha. Finlay is so cute! And if you are ever looking for some good tank mates... Ghost shrimp are the way to go haha. Cheap if Finlay sees them as food instead of friends. Snails produce a lot of waste haha which is why I don't have one (I am sometimes lazy at cleaning the tank haha).
:D

Tags
finley, newbie