Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #11 
sunstar93

And velvet is the worst! I do not wish it on anyone's fish, ever.
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #12 
uzanybug

Thanks Sunstar :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunstar93 View Post
.....if you find that real plants dont work out, Petco silk plants are pretty good too!
Lol well a nice cheap tank is the 1.5 gallon Tetra cube from Walmart, or the 3 gallon tetra half moon tank (I have both haha). They are both very easy to heat- I recommend the Top Fin adjustable heater from Petsmart (save yourself money in the long run and go for an adjustable heater now...that way if you ever need to adjust the temperature you can! And it is not too expensive). With the 1.5 cube, you don't have to use the filter it comes with (in fact I actually recommend to not use it). But the 3 gallon is pretty nice, roomy and the filter is good. And it comes with a bubbler...instant betta fun (;
Haha I have a wish list going as well, I'm going to turn my 10 gallon into a hermit crab home and get another tank for Toby....I have so many haha. Finlay is so cute! And if you are ever looking for some good tank mates... Ghost shrimp are the way to go haha. Cheap if Finlay sees them as food instead of friends.
Thank you for your kind welcome and for sharing your experience Sunstar! I should probably(?) shift to a Betta Care forum, if we post much more.

One of my first fish-y purchases was Petco silk plants. Finlay's current tank is so little, I didn't want to crowd him, and so I put the second silk plant behind the tank instead of inside. When I first did that - you should have seen him - he kept looking at it and trying to get to it. At night, he rests atop his silk plant that has bigger leaves. I think he likes to be near the waterline without having to work at it when he's resting. I'd like to find/add some water lettuce and see if he could snack on that. He has such an appetite and I would hope that something veggie would not have the restrictions that I put on feeding him pellets. I'm still learning before I commit to the food plants. The ghost shrimp you suggest do sound cool. The way he went after that spider though, I'm afraid he'll make a meal out of whatever live things I put in the bowl with him.

Thanks so much for the heater advice. Adjustable does sound like the way to go. Finlay's next tank will be a 2.5 gallon, I hope, because I think the temperature regulation will be easier and more stable. I'm so afraid if I try to heat the 1/2 gallon, I'll end up cooking him. A friend has already told me that Finlay will have a Petsmart gift card on the way, and I hope I can improve things for him soon.

Thanks again!

Last edited by uzanybug; 12-14-2012 at 12:01 AM. Reason: typo1
uzanybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:07 AM   #13 
sunstar93

Lol well you can always PM me if you want lol.
Aww! He must have been wishing he could get to it. Veggies are actually not that good for bettas. They are naturally insectivores in the wild and will only eat plant roots and such if they have to (like when kept in those horrid plant vases). Lol well ghost shrimp are only about 30 cents so if you get one and he eats it it's not a big expense haha. And Toby does that too, he rests on his big purple plant the lazy boy lol. Some bettas are more aggressive than others, it's a hit and miss!
Trust me, it is. I have 2 non adjustables in my closet right now in case of malfunction. Lol good thinking! Try wrapping a towel around the tank? I did that to Leo's QT tank on the trip back home from college and it kept him from freezing haha (that's in my experience though...not sure what others would do). Aw Finlay is a lucky little betta! It's all about learning and luckily bettas are hardy enough to survive (;
And always happy to help!!
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #14 
eaturbyfill

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Finlay is a very handsome fish! I like his shade of blue.
eaturbyfill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:22 PM   #15 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

Nice to meet you....

Be sure and post questions in the proper section for best response......

Enjoy your stay.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #16 
uzanybug

Finlay and I say, "thanks" Oldfishlady

Thanks for the warm welcome Oldfishlady! Your posts have been so helpful to me, especially the water-changing advice. Finlay says "thank you." I was really impressed when I read about how you helped Oliver's keeper unclamp his fins. Your posts were the reason I decided this is a great community to help me care for Finlay. I've already read about oak leaves, tried feeding a house spider (a hit with Finlay) and exercising him a little each day with the mirror. Thank you so much.

Finlay started building a beautiful bubble nest that I first noticed yesterday. No lady-fish around, so I guess he's just an optimist .

One quick question: I notice that members have different status (bronze, gold, silver, etc.) How does one "move up"? Does it mean higher expertise? Is there a way to view a list of the more expert members' posts about betta care?

Thanks again. Glad to be part of the community here.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #17 
uzanybug

Thanks Sena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Actually that is a plakat koi female betta, who died due to a bad store's lack of care

As for posts and pictures you can only edit them for 15 minutes after, then it "locks" so to say. The picture is fine ^_^
I meant to reply before you went offline, Sena.

Sorry about your rescue fish. It's heartbreaking to see how little poorly living things are treated in some of these stores. It must have been hard not to be able to bring her back to health.

Thank you for your tip about the 15-minute limit to edit post. Very useful to know. Sounds like you know your way around here.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #18 
uzanybug

Thank you. Who's your cutie friend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaturbyfill View Post
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Finlay is a very handsome fish! I like his shade of blue.
Thanks... and Finley says, "Thanks!" The LED flashlight really brought out his color for the photo. He's got so much personality. I had to come to bettafish.com to find people who understand that my fish really does pay attention to what I'm doing. Most people I talk to think fish just swim around and don't even know their person is in the room.

Your little furry friend in your avatar is such a cutie. Does she have any furry friends at home? Do you have any guinea pigs? The adorableness of the guinea pigs always gets me at the pet store. Someday, I won't be able to resist the guinea pig rescue pet adoptions where I live.

I should have been spelling it "Finley," not Finlay. Oh, well.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #19 
bryanacute

Welcome to the forum and world of betta keeping. Your set up sounds good for him! As long as you dot exercise him to much, you should be good. I excersise each (6) males once every two days for avout 2-5 mintues each. Congrats on your beautiful find.

Last edited by bryanacute; 12-14-2012 at 11:13 PM.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #20 
uzanybug

Sad Day

Finley had to go away to stay with a friend. (Roommate problems.)

He was, no IS, a fun fish, and I hope I can bring him home again really soon.

Thank you for the warm welcome here on bettafish.com . Finley and I will be back.

Last edited by uzanybug; 12-16-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Tags
finley, newbie