Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #1 
CritterNut

I think this is a baby?

Hey guys, I posted pictures in the sick/emergency section because my friend gave me this betta and I thought she wasn't well because she doesn't have a dorsal fin. She is pretty small, and I'm starting to wonder if she's a baby. I've never had a baby before. Maybe you guys can tell me? She's very active, and I saw that babies grow dorsal fins last. So maybe it just hasn't grown yet! She's very pretty, purple and showing stripes. Any name suggestions?

CritterNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #2 
karenluvsbettas623

I've seen babies smaller than her with dorsal fins so I'm not sure if it's normal. It could have been eaten up by fin-rot since she appears to have fin rot in her other fins as well, it could be a birth defect, or it could just not have grown yet. I guess I'm not much help am I lol.
karenluvsbettas623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #3 
PetMania

She may be a baby. Could you post a pic of her next to an object so I can compare? She/he could also have some sort of genetic defect. So much inbreeding in bettas that are sold at pet stores cause defects that affect different things.
I name rescues after their background stories, their personalities, or what they stand for now (hope freedom, liberty,etc.).
She/he is so pretty! I love the purple
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #4 
Fenghuang

No, babies grow dorsal fins at a much young age than that. And your girl looks full grown. It is probably an injury. Her dorsal may grow back or it may not. Shouldn't affect her qualty of life too much if it isn't a new wound.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #5 
xShainax

It looks like she never grew one. The back is completely smooth and doesn't indicate ever having one
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #6 
PetMania

I agree. If she had fint rot, I think it would have grown back. Like I said, genetic defects, so she probably didn't grow one.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #7 
CritterNut

Do you think she has fin rot on her other fins? I thought they were just torn from stress. I'll try to get a picture of her near an object.
Old 08-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #8 
babystarz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CritterNut View Post
Do you think she has fin rot on her other fins? I thought they were just torn from stress. I'll try to get a picture of her near an object.
It looks to me like she has just a hint of fin rot around old wounds, but it's in an early stage. She should heal up quickly in clean, warm water.

I can see that she has fully grown pectoral fins, so I agree that she has never had a dorsal fin. The pectorals are the first to be damaged and never grow in babies, so since she has them, the issue was not water quality during early development and was likely a genetic mutation. Also, she's an adult. Once her stress stripe disappears and she colors up, she'll seem more like an adult.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #9 
CritterNut

Thanks, she seems to be doing well so I will keep her water clean and warm.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:27 PM   #10 
blufish425

Aww she's a cutie. Im going to suggest the name Plum, because of her color of course :)
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote