Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 11:47 PM   #11 
Prettyprada

OHHHH!!! I know what you're talking about now! at first I was like turkeybaster? but then I reread everything and figured it out. Thanks! great tip there.
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 PM   #12 
sunstar93

I think we do have the same tank!! My Toby loved it (before he was transferred to the 10 gallon lol).

As far as his behavior goes....he may just be shy, especially since you've only had him for a week. Some bettas are much more feisty and eager to explore. I would keep an eye on him for now, he may just be adjusting (especially with the filter mishap lol). As long as he seems normal (eating well, swimming around) then you probably don't have anything to worry about. As far as his fins...he may have been trying to bite them to relieve some of the weight. Especially from the filter flow. My VT Leo did that for the longest time and I could never figure out what it was. It was a combo of stress from his huge 3 gallon tank (he's not a "big tank betta" lol) and feeling stressed from the filter (also a Whisper). As soon as I moved him to a 1 gallon QT he has stopped biting his tail....very odd confusing situation but without the filter he is definitely much better!
And such a handsome betta by the way (;
sunstar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:58 PM   #13 
Prettyprada

Ok thank you so much! I just needed some peace of mind. :) Being new and all... hehe

But yeah! he seems to be ok. its just those fins and the being shy and stuff thats got me a little worried.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:01 AM   #14 
sunstar93

Lol I wouldn't worry (trust me, the queen of worrying here). It's aways nice to have someones reassurance (;
I definitely hope he comes out of his shell! Some bettas take longer to warm up to you and their new house. Do you have lots of plants in his tank? I know when Toby was in his 1.5 I had a huge silk plant right in the middle that reached all the way to the top. he had a lot of hiding space and started work on a huge bubble nest haha
Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 AM   #15 
Prettyprada

Yeah I have one little log that has some silk leaves coming out that he likes to sleep in! it is also in the middle.
The only thing that had me condused was that in the beginnig he was very hyper and very social! and now hes all like "bleh"

yeah Prada had a nice bubble nest too! :) but not anymore :(
oh well like you said, hopefully he comes out of his shell!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #16 
sunstar93

hmm thats kinda weird...maybe it was just excitement from being in a new place. Toby was kinda like that though. He's definitely calmed down a lot. At first he was crazy active but now he just floats along all day lol.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:09 AM   #17 
Prettyprada

oh okay! well maybe that is what is going on with mine! Thanks for the reassurance :) say hi to Toby from Prada!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:17 AM   #18 
sunstar93

Anytime!! That's what is great about forums...lots of different people with different betta experience (;
And Toby says hi back!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #19 
sandybottom
Reference Team

how much do you feed him and when?
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #20 
AyalaCookiejar

This is a little late but have you gotten a test kit yet? The liquid ones are more expensive but include like 800 tests for about $30 or you could get test strips for like $15-$20 that only include 25 tests so this will save you money in the long run.

If you want, you can also check out Omega One or New Life Spectrum pellets as they both have better nutritional value than the Aqueon ones.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote