Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #1 
Jessa24

The joys of betta keeping

Splash is such a butthead. Today I go to do my weekly 50% water change. Usually I grab him up in his cup but oh no...not today. Everytime I would dip the cup in he would swim away as fast as his little fins could carry him. He was hell bent on avoiding that cup. So he left me no choice but to use that darn net. I really didn't want to, I was so nervous and basically scared ****less (pardon my french) because I didn't want to hurt his beautiful and may I add delicate fins and tail. Needless to say I love Splash but bettas are some smart cookies and oh so stubborn!
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Mine do that on occasion but I don't remove mine for a 50% water change.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:40 AM   #3 
Shadyr

I don't take mine out for a 50% either. The only time I take them out is for a full tank deep rinse out. Which...I'll probably be doing two of this weekend!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

I've had luck being very patient and letting them swim in to the cup on their own when they won't let me suck them into it, haha. They are very curious about new objects and usually they eventually swim into it for me.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 AM   #5 
aemaki09

Yeah i never take mine out (in big tanks) unless i am doing more than 70% its just too much hassle.
But you can use a brine shrimp net for him if you want to. they are much better for betta's and their fins.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #6 
Jessa24

Usually he is great about it but he just wasn't having it the other day. I considered leaving him in for the 50% but I wasn't sure if that would annoy him...me taking water out and putting water in and cleaning decorations and plants. I am still new to the whole filtered 10 gal tank. Before he was in a nonfiltered 3 gal.
Jessa24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:33 PM   #7 
shellieca
Reference Team

There's really no need to clean plants & decos unless there something really bad on them. They will have some of your BB on them so its best to leave them alone. IMO its less stressful than removing him each time. They get used to it. Mine all swim around the vac tube checking it out & I make sure to pour the water back in as gently as possible they usually stay out of the way.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

^ Agreed. Sometimes I will take out my decorations and scrub them, but only because some kind of slime mold (white cotton like stuff) is growing on my newer decorations.

I'm sometimes afraid that they will get too close to the vac and will get sucked in, lol. They always check it out during my water changes. At times, I'm so busy watching them and making sure that they don't get too close that I forget to watch the bucket I am siphoning the water into and I almost overflow it lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #9 
sainthogan

There's a member on here who trained her Betta to go into the cup by feeding treats whenever he was in his cup.
On the other hand, my girl doesn't even mind when I do a water change and keep her in there, in fact, she's very curious about the whole thing, and stays right near where I am doing everything and checks it out.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote