Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-21-2012, 12:31 AM   #1 
azurefox

HELP! Clamped Fins diagnose but appetite still Very Good

Hi!
2 of my Betta Fish in the Sorority tank got clamped Fins
I don't know why it happened,
first only 1 fish got that, her behaviour suddenly changed, she often hiding under rocks/plants/driftwood, but she still swimming around too, it's just she often spend hiding :(
now another fish also got the same situation
they both still love to eat, but their behaviour changed.... and their fins all clamped...
another fishes are still okay and healthy

The 1st fish who got clamped fins now in better condition, her fin start open again, but still not good as before... she still hide sometimes too :(

did anyone ever got the same situation as mine too?
I wanna add medicine, but I dont know what is their cause? :(
I put melafix sometimes in the tank, in case when their fins are broken/nipped a little...
azurefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #2 
callistra

Never use melafix with bettas. It can be lethal.

Please fill this out
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 AM   #3 
azurefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Never use melafix with bettas. It can be lethal.

Please fill this out
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
may I know why I can't use melafix with bettas? >.<
Old 12-21-2012, 09:59 AM   #4 
azurefox

Housing
What size is your tank? 30 Litre, 60x20x20cm (around)
What temperature is your tank? always 78-82 F
Does your tank have a filter? yes, cannister filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes, sometimes on/off
Is your tank heated? nope, my country is always in tropical season
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 2 ottos, 5 female bettas total

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? frozen live bloodworm, atison pro
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Sera Liquid fertilizer

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? always around 7-8 PH

Ammonia: i dont know
Nitrite: i dont know
Nitrate: i dont know
pH: 7-8
Hardness: i dont know
Alkalinity: i dont know

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? fins became clamped, her tail and anal fin divided T_T
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? looks like lethargic symptomp, she often hiding, under rocks, plants at the bottom of the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? quarantined and give aquarium salt
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? 3-5 months

Last edited by azurefox; 12-21-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

They say Melafix & the other "fixes" coat the labrynth organ & essentially suffocate the Betta. There is no need to add anything other than a good water conditioner to your water for nipped fins. You should test your water with a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates 1st to make sure there is no problem with your water. I see you're adding a fertilizer but no water conditioner, this could be part of the problem as well. 30 litres is roughly 8g (slightly less) so IMO your tank is over stocked & this could be causing them stress & if they are getting picked on more than the others they will stay hiding & clamped up.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #6 
azurefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
They say Melafix & the other "fixes" coat the labrynth organ & essentially suffocate the Betta. There is no need to add anything other than a good water conditioner to your water for nipped fins. You should test your water with a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrites & nitrates 1st to make sure there is no problem with your water. I see you're adding a fertilizer but no water conditioner, this could be part of the problem as well. 30 litres is roughly 8g (slightly less) so IMO your tank is over stocked & this could be causing them stress & if they are getting picked on more than the others they will stay hiding & clamped up.
yep... I read that too..so many articles suggest me to aeorate the water... did that too... :(
maybe I should add water conditioner too... I didnt add water conditioner because many breeders suggest me to add natural water.. so I stay the water overnight for 12 hours before I use them... my other fishes seems doing well, 1 of the fish that had lethargic symptom seems alright now, she act normal again... but the 2nd fish (happened a while after the 1st) is in worst conditions, her fins looks pretty bad :( and tail looks torned after I went home yesterday.. so I immediately move her to her own tank...
Old 12-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #7 
callistra

Letting the water sit overnight is not enough. You have to always use conditioner except in a few cases like using RO water or particularly good well water. I really like Prime, personally.

I would test or get your water tested as well for the ammonia nitrites and nitrates. Your local fish store will probably do it but it's a good idea to keep a test kit on hand if you're running a cycled tank and not doing 100% changes.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:20 PM   #8 
azurefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Letting the water sit overnight is not enough. You have to always use conditioner except in a few cases like using RO water or particularly good well water. I really like Prime, personally.

I would test or get your water tested as well for the ammonia nitrites and nitrates. Your local fish store will probably do it but it's a good idea to keep a test kit on hand if you're running a cycled tank and not doing 100% changes.
I see, okay! I'll buy water conditioner and TGS tester too!
is Tetra Water Conditioner good?
Old 12-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #9 
azurefox

strangely my 2 Ottocinclus (which is known for more sensitive fish than Betta, they're in the tank since the first time, but they're still healthy till now...)

well maybe because of the bullying :( but I try the water conditioner first for now....
Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #10 
azurefox

and wondering too, if I use well water, should I use water conditioner too?=.=?