Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-13-2012, 10:26 PM   #1 
Kiyi

Buying a Betta in Winter...

(Skip to the bold if you just want the question without the back story.)

So, I've never taken care of a fish myself before. I've been researching bettas since the beginning of november. Bought a ten gallon tank for my future betta fish. I was planning to get the betta sometime after christmas, since I bought my brother a ten gallon tank as a gift too.

I almost have pretty much everything I need now. Waiting on a package arriving on the 20th. I have a visitherm heater, water test kit, silk plants, water conditioner, extra media for the filter that came with the tank, different betta foods (New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets, Omega Betta Bouffet Pellets, and a homemade food called shrimp bites from Angelfins.ca) + plus some other stuff I'm probably forgetting about. xD

But, the only thing I didn't think about was how cold it will be outside when I finally do get a betta. Will a betta be a ok in cold weather for a few minutes? Just until we get into the car? I'll try to go up on a sunny day, but chances are it will still be below 0°Celsius, maybe a bit above. It's about a 45 minute drive to the nearest pet store.

I've come this far, don't want to screw it up the first time, haha,
Kiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Hey there Kiyi, welcome to the forum!! :)

Sounds like you've really got everything sorted out and set! Fantastic!! I'm sure your future betta will really appreciate and enjoy his/her wonderful new home, can't wait to see some pictures! ;)

Now, to answer your question.....yes, for a few minute walk outside to your car your betta should be just fine. Pretty sure thats not even enough time to really effect the temperature of their water. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:09 PM   #3 
pittipuppylove

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Dragon - a couple minutes outside going from the building to your car shouldn't hurt him. However, if you're still concerned, you could put the cup or bag in a small cooler filled with towels to help insulate him on the drive home(just make sure he can still get air) - this also has an added benefit of helping to reduce stress during transit by keeping the cup/bag dark.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #4 
Kiyi

Thanks for the reply. :D
Now I feel much better about it. I'm so exited, I'd love to start setting up right now, but I'd rather keep it a bigger surprise for my brother and his tank. xD

I may just do that, pittypuppylove, if I can get my mom to let me borrow her cooler, I don't currently have one. xD I actually thought about using a box the same way before I posted here.
Kiyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #5 
pittipuppylove

Anticipation is the worst and best part of the entire process

A box with towels would work too, given that you're likely to keep your car heated to a temperature above freezing. I started out using a small cooler to transport my fish to and from school for breaks and have now begun to use a plastic storage box lined with towels since I've gotten more fish - both seem to work well. I just like the coolers because they do add more insulation.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #6 
Myates

I use those knit hats to hold cups in when the weather is a bit cold and I have to transport one.

Keep in mind that the water temp will change quickly due to it's size, and just as the water can become too cold, the water can become too warm too quickly too. So make sure not to over do the warmth when in the car. :)
A box will work just as well as the cooler.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #7 
Nothingness

Have you started your cycle yet? get that going now before your get the Betta. this will be a less stressful way to cycle for your new friend
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #8 
bethyMT

I kinda tuck the cup/bag into my coat and hold it there while I walk outside. Then, once in the car, I wrap it in a blanket on the passenger seat.

It looks really weird, I'm sure, as I'm trying to carry my 2 year old daughter and the 5 year old daughter is hanging on to my coat as we cross the parking lot!
bethyMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #9 
DragonFish

I will admit, in the winter time when it gets nice and chilly, depending on how far I'm parked/if I'm in a strip and walking to another store first I do tend to tuck cups/bags with fish in my scarf....it looks absolutely ridiculous, my girlfriend refuses to stop teasing me about the one time I did it while she was around, and its probably not absolutely necessary but it works and puts my mind at ease. xD
I'm sure that a couple minutes walk out to the car wouldn't do much harm though.

The towel and box/cooler/tub method is quite fantastic, works wonders for transporting, I moved a few boys cross-country using this method.
For short trips with just one or two fish though(a couple hours or less), honestly I don't get anything fancy set up....I just hold the cup/bag in my lap or slip he cup into the cup holder. If the car drives smoothly(and assuming of course you have the heat on in the car keeping it at a warmish temp), I find that works just fine.
Up to you if you want to set up something with a cooler/box/tub of course; its certainly not going to harm things. ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

When I got mine they gave me a paper bag to put the cup in to insulate him and also keep it dark so he wouldn't get as stressed.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote