Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #1 
stellar981

fin rot or tail biting??

I am going to try a new post.. i posted a couple other times with no responses.. Please see my pix below.. history of this can be found on my other post (along with a short video of him):
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=122383
Basically I noticed this Tues, like it happened overnight, very quickly. Shortly after putting my fish back into his ten gallon (sunday). He was previously treated for constipation successfully. Please take a look and let me know what you think it could be... It doesn't appear to have gotten worse since Tues morning, which was why I was leaning more towards biting or tearing (which I dont know on what he would have torn it) everything in the tank is silk or natural. I have two silk plants. The only plastic is a fake grass and its not sharp. I made sure to check it. He has a moss ball, some anubias, some drift wood, and a mug. Nothing sharp... so i am stumped. Anyone?? Also, I haven't treated him yet because he was just treated. I dont want to unnecessarily stress him out. And it hasn't changed, so im not completely sure he needs treatment... His parameters are fine. The tank has likely restarted a cycle because he was out for 10 days. But all levels are zero..
Attached Images

stellar981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:24 AM   #2 
jessp118

Looks like tail biting or he is tearing his fins on something
jessp118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #3 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessp118 View Post
Looks like tail biting or he is tearing his fins on something
ugh, i dont know what it could be... i was extremely careful with decor. he had one toy that tore his upper fins when he was having the floating issues. Because he was get under the decoration and float to the top. when he came out with a tore fin, i took it out immediately. but i do not know what else it could be. he hangs around the heater a lot, between the suction cups.. could it be that??? i dont know how I can solve that problem....
Old 12-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Doesn't look like fin rot to me. What is your filter intake like? My VT's fin will get sucked in the intake arm, so I put filter sponge in it to prevent that. Mine had fin damagae similar to yours, all I did was his regular water changes, it didn't get worse & has healed (mostly) now. IMO & IME, there is nothing needed except clean water with regular weekly 50% water changes for fin damage or fin rot.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:34 AM   #5 
stellar981

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Doesn't look like fin rot to me. What is your filter intake like? My VT's fin will get sucked in the intake arm, so I put filter sponge in it to prevent that. Mine had fin damagae similar to yours, all I did was his regular water changes, it didn't get worse & has healed (mostly) now. IMO & IME, there is nothing needed except clean water with regular weekly 50% water changes for fin damage or fin rot.
oh i didnt think of that... he does hangout over by that too! you put the sponge right down into the tube? wont it have trouble sucking up the water like that?

while I have your attention.. speaking of filters, what type of maintenance should be performed on it monthly/weekly/biweekly? I have the carbon stuff in there, but I will likely remove that and add more sponge in there. it also has biomax in there. i havent done anything as of yet, and its been set up about a month..
Old 12-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

I have the Top Fin 10 filters on my 10g & 5.5g tanks, I cut some pre-filter sponge to fit into the tube part with the grid, don't stuff it down. It does restrict the outflow quite a bit which is good for my Bettas but it still filters the water. As for filter maintenance, I don't have the same type of filter as you but I swish the filter media in used tank water once a week or every couple of weeks, as well as getting the gunk out of the intake arm. I also take the filter apart to clean the gunk out of the impeller.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #7 
stellar981

Quote:
I have the Top Fin 10 filters on my 10g & 5.5g tanks, I cut some pre-filter sponge to fit into the tube part with the grid, don't stuff it down. It does restrict the outflow quite a bit which is good for my Bettas but it still filters the water. As for filter maintenance, I don't have the same type of filter as you but I swish the filter media in used tank water once a week or every couple of weeks, as well as getting the gunk out of the intake arm. I also take the filter apart to clean the gunk out of the impeller.
Thank you! I will do all of that during this water change. I wonder if I could put some screen on the outside of the intake tube? Kinda wrap it around.. but what would i use to keep it on... not sure...
Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #8 
shellieca
Reference Team

Not sure what you mean by screen but be careful it's not metal as it can & probably will eventually rust. You can use the toe out of pantyhose or something similar, use a non-coated rubber band or a plastic tie wrap cut to where there are not sharp edges.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #9 
stellar981

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by screen but be careful it's not metal as it can & probably will eventually rust. You can use the toe out of pantyhose or something similar, use a non-coated rubber band or a plastic tie wrap cut to where there are not sharp edges.
i guess netting would be a better term.. something like what a fish net is made from. really soft and fish safe. those are good ideas for fastening, thanks! i will do this during the next water change also. thanks to those who responded!
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #10 
Silverfang

It looks like tearing to me. Too chunky to be biting like I've seen. I'd check that hair grass like plant in the third picture. You'd be surprised at what plastic can damage fins.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote