Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #1 
nel3

cracked 3.4g KK help. mildly urgent.

i just started a 100wc for my blue ct in his 3.4gkk. i took the fish into his glass before moving the tank. the bathroom has a rectangle shaped sink with 1 3/4 flat surfaces on all edges. i perch the tanks on the corner and 1 side of the sink so its stable.

i wasnt so lucky today andits the 1st time i did it. i didnt put the full KK square on the edge and it slipped and hit the faucet. the tank is now cracked, 3 1/4 long just under 6 inches above the bottom of the kk. i can fill 2 gallons (kk has rock substrate) before getting to the bottom of the crack.

i'll only fill half the KK for the WC until i can get a new kk this morning. my question regards to the safe water quantity it can now store. i hope to use the tank as a QT tank if possible as i have a 1g tank as a current qt tank. how far below the crack can i fill it up?
i'll get some pics posted a bit later today.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Are you sure its cracked & not just scratched? Have you seen water leak through it? I would fill it up to see if it actually leaks, starting with the lower level, then increasing it to see where & if it leaks. If it is cracked you can probably get some aquarium sealant (silicone), put some on both sides (inside & outside) of the crack to seal it up. Since you're just goint to use it as a QT tank, you can put that side on the back so you don't see it.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #3 
Viva

You might be able to fill it up and not have it leak like shllieca said. I just bought the same exact KK and since it is so small the water pressure might not be enough to force it through the crack. Duct tape might work too, though it will look terrible lol. Otherwise I'm sure filling it to the bottom of the crack won't make it any worse.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #4 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Fill it half way and wrap duct tape all the way around it until you can get a replacement is my best advice. Remember 1 gallon of water is 10lbs of water pushing it's way out so don't underestimate its strength.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #5 
nel3

I haven't yet leak tested it as I have things to do today but it took a good hit. It hit the corner of the faucet much like a 1 to 2 foot drop (as if empty)from the sound to it. It as only two inches from the faucet to start but it also angled down four inches to impact. It's not 100 percent cracked but its deep enough. I have already purchased a replacement tank and its drying from ten percent błeach. I will have time to leak test it in one to two days when the replacement is ready. I dont want to leak test it while the fish is in.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 PM   #6 
nel3

here the pic of the crack, its been a full day since i cracked it but its holding. i'll change the KK tank in a few hours as the sun is shining on the new kk.