Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #1 
aemaki09

Lost 2 sorority girls in 3 days. Help! How & What to treat??!

I have a sorority tank with 9 girls in it (well, had 9) I dont know what happened but out of the blue 2 of them died within a few hours of me noticing they were sick.
Death #1 (wednesday): A red VT that looked like she was having swim bladder issues, and kind of started to look like she was becomnig paralyzed? I put her into a QT container and added aq salt hoping it would help, she died the next morning (I will add that I'm unsure if this was my fault or she was really sick, the container was a tupperware container that I found in the kitchen, could have been some small amount of soap residue that killed her, but it hadnt been used in months and I thought that kind of stuff would evaporate or lose its potency like bleach and vinegar does if its left in light?)
2 days later (last night)
Death #2: A Blue HM - noticed her kind of drifting along the bottom of the tank, I figured I would put her into a QT tank (I bought one at the store the day that the first one died) I added some AQ salt hoping that would help till I could figure out what was wrong, She kind of had a hard time getting a breath, and was only using one pectoral to swim? Kind of looked like she was somewhat paralyzed as well? I woke up this morning and she had died.
I spend hours at night watching my tanks to wind down, so I would have noticed if this was some long running sickness, but it wasnt, came out of the blue and killed them within a couple hours
I always let salt desolve, and QT water was the same temp and everything as their tank water so it cant be that
Please help me figure out what meds to get.

Housing
What size is your tank? 26 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80*
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 9 betta females, 6 cories, some ghost shrimp, and ramshorn snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Buffet and Frozen Bloodworms as treats once a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 2-3x a week *been battling algea)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% - did a 60% earlier this week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aqua Safe every change and Flourish Fertilizer once a week

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Havent tested for anything besides ammonia because I ran out of strips. Going to pick some up today.

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: ?
Nitrate: ?
pH: ?
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? No change, If anything their colors came out more
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic, 2nd one didnt eat for a day or two.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? about 3 hours before each of them died
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? AQ salt in the QT tanks, Wondering if I should treat the entire sorority tank and what I should add in that is safe for my cories, shrimp, and snails?!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Noth were Pet store betta's. Only had the 1st a couple weeks, so unknown. I had the 2nd about 3 months, showed no illness in that time
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably about 8 months?

Please help! I cant afford to lose anymore. I dont have extra containers to treat them all in seperately other than their cups so would prefer to do a treatment for the entire tank.
What should I get and do?
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Bump.
I'm headed to the store now, hoping for some suggestions on meds before I get there.
Thanks
Old 12-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

If you thought it was swim bladder issues, you would treat it with Epsom salt.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #4 
aemaki09

I didnt treat the first one at all because I didnt have anything to treat with. I was planning to run out in the morning to grab it but she had already passed.

Heres my water parameters
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 7.5
Hardness: 150
Alkalinity: 300? -- what is alkalinity anyways?
Done with test strips but done 2x

I bought Maracyn 1 - should I treat the entire tank just in case its something? Or wait and see if another passes?
Old 12-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm not sure of you can treat the other inhabitants in the tank with that or not. I wouldn't, because medication just stresses them out more if you don't know what you are treating. Epsom salt is the only one I know of that can be treated long-term and is mild, although things like AQ salt and IAL can be used as preventatives, AQ salt cannot be used long-term. Raising the temperature and keeping clean water also helps, but your water parameters are okay right now, and I can only speak for the bettas as I have little experience with other fish.

It's hard to tell why they died. If any others experience the same symptoms, it would probably be a good idea to treat the entire tank because whatever it is is living in the water. Just make sure you can use the treatment on your other fish and snails.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote