Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #1 
TheWindWaker

Betta Not Eating

I'm certain it's nothing serious, but I figured it's worth asking the experts.

I've had my betta for over a year now (year and a half I'd wager) and he's been absolutely healthy with no negative signs. But for the past few days he hasn't been eating. Instead, he has been flaring at any food I place in the tank then going straight back to work with a steadily growing bubble nest.

The bubble nests aren't new, although this is by far the second largest he's ever made. He's very busy watching over it and building it more.

I've removed the uneaten food, but I was just wondering if I should be keeping my eye open for any other signs or if this is just his system going into 'mating' overdrive.

I usually give him around 4 Betta Bite pellets daily, but as I said he's been swimming up to them and flaring before returning to nest arrangements. It's been two days now.
TheWindWaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 Fill this out.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #3 
TheWindWaker

I debated if I should fill it out, but I wasn't sure how relevant it would be since no other conditions have changed since he happily ate three days ago.

Housing
What size is your tank? one gallon
What temperature is your tank? Room temperature which is around 76-82 throughout the day
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta bites
How often do you feed your betta fish? 4 pebbles once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Under a week unless I notice the tank in bad condition.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Full water change
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? n/a
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He flares at food before ignoring it altogether and obsessively maintains an ever growing bubble nest.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Bubblenest building has been going on since Tuesday. He stopped eating on Thursday.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not even sure if anything is wrong or if he's just really in the mood to play daddy.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? year and a half

As I said I really don't suspect anything wrong, but I figured it was best to be safe and ask. Not eating is a little suspicious, but honestly he's been active. Perhaps a tad more aggressive which leads me to suspect he might just REALLY be in the mood for babies, but he's my first betta to take it to this extreme. My previous ones all made much smaller nests and didn't seem all too invested in them.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The Temp changes way too much. Sounds like more water changes are needed.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:35 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Your temp is fine IMO/E, I would however, increase the water changes and add a 50% water only mid week in a 1gal unfiltered tank-unless you have active growing live plants-then I wouldn't make the 100%-just partials-depending on number and species.

You might be right in thinking he is in the mood to spawn-especially since he is maturing, more aggressive and non-stop working on his nest.
Is he in sight of any other fish or Betta, has he ever been spawned and sadly he might be making a last ditch effort to reproduce to pass on his genes due to end of life issues...lets hope thats not it....

You might try making a 50% water change and destroy his nest and see if this will get him eating....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #6 
TheWindWaker

He's never spawned and there aren't any other fish near him, although I did move his tank to a new spot in the room. It's possible he's mistaking some of the things around him as other fish.
I certainly hope it's not the latter situation you mentioned. He has made an even larger nest than this one before (when I first brought him home) but he was eating then and not nearly as aggressive.

I'll try the water change and see if wrecking the nest gets him to eat. Thank you.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Thats a 6 Degree temp change 4 degree change can be fatal. I would do 50 percent every other day and 1 100 percent.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:01 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Based on experiments I conducted some time ago-I found that water can be maintained in 1gal-4gal unfiltered tanks without live plants with twice weekly water changes of....1-50% water only and 1-100%

Betta don't produce the amount of byproducts that some think-most water quality problems are due to over feeding and/or poor quality foods.

In unfiltered tanks you can have up to 10 degrees difference in temp at the lower level and/or under objects in the tank that tropical fish swim through without issue or being shocked. Betta can tolerate much lower temps short term. These are gradual changes-its the sudden extreme changes that can be stressful.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

That is too much of a temp change leading to stress that lowers immune system. People can go a while without proper water changes but that does not make it right.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
That is too much of a temp change leading to stress that lowers immune system. People can go a while without proper water changes but that does not make it right.
Then lets agree to disagree......

I base my advice and information on over 40 years of fish keeping experience and multi experiments.