Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #1 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Popeye?

Well here it is Flares latest disease (My sisters fish)
His eyes are huge! He is bloated too.
Housing
What size is your tank? 1 gal jar we are under going renovations and the fish are not in there pernament tank.
What temperature is your tank? Cold there was no heater and he was in the coldest part of the house.
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega 1 pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice a day 4 pellets each time

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 1 time every two weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Eyes bulge out of head and there is a white line around eyes
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Haven't treated him yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes he constintly is bloated and has had to be treated for ammonia poisoning twice now
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year
BeautifulBetta123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:10 PM   #2 
bryanacute

Oh wow. My friends first betta had popeye. Could u post pictures?
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #3 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

IMG_1016.JPG
5171K View Share Download
Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

-.-; Wish I could see it however there is no way I am signing up to google for it.

Already though I can tell you exactly what is wrong. A 1 gallon tank being cleaned every two weeks? Outrageous. And very bad to the fish. He has infection (popeye), more than likely ammonia burns and he is closer to death with each poisoning he is getting from being uncared for.

He is bloated because: He is unable to poop due to how cold the water is. The body's metabolism slows down and makes it hard to do certain things such as digest.

1 gallon jar: every day or every other day cleaning. If she cannot keep up with that, then she needs to rethink keeping him in a jar for long term (or even for a 3 month short term). Since this sounds like it has been going on for months, there needs to be a change ASAP or else that fish will be guaranteed an untimely and rather painful death.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:47 PM   #5 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

I have tried telling her he will drown in his own filth to get her to do water chanfes but she won't listen today I checked on him and went OH MY GOD! I told her and she ignored me and kept playing electronics. This is the third time I have saced her fish I am done if I do it again... I will rehome him.

By the way the ct pair is doing gret the female is way smarter then the male lol. They are very active fish. They are in 1 gal jars unfortunately but I suck out the fish poop every day and do 50% water changes every two days. I have a light fixture set up over them and there water is kept at about 80. The divided 10 gal tanks will be set up soon but I am getting a metal rack to stick all the tanks on. They got blood worms today yum yum.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

Good job on your part How come your sister has a fish? She obviously does not want any responsibility.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

They only will be in the jars for a very short amount of time.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:50 PM   #8 
Sena Hansler

Well, that is fine. All of my fish (and yours when I had them) were in quarantine. All my fish are now in their permanent homes. I use 1 gallon things here and there since it is easy and convenient especially for quarantine.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:00 PM   #9 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned

Well she has a fish because I am so into fish my parrents thought I could help her and the fish would live happily ever after well I told her what to do how to care for him and she didn't do it.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:05 AM   #10 
callistra

Well I think you understand the whole part about the coldness and water quality problems so.. just to skip to treatment, for this you need epsom salts. Treat for 1/4-1 tsp per gallon. It needs to be predissolved and it need to be pure with no additives according tot he ingredients label. I know CVS pharmacy carries some, but you can usually find it at your local grocery store in the pharmacy section. Treatment may take up to a couple weeks.

That will help get the eyes back to normal size and since it has some inherent antifungal and bacterial properties that may be all that's needed but if antibiotics are also needed I'd go with Kanaplex (1 level scoop to 5 gallons so you'd have to dilute for a 1 g). Let me know if you need help with that, if it gets to that point.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote