Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #11 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you callistra and OFL! He's always had conditioned water. I just didn't have a conditioner that neutralized ammonia.

No tannins. Right now I have 1tsp/gallon of Epsom, I have been doing 100% water changes daily for the past three days. Before I was doing 50% weekly changes in his 5gallon and smaller 20% ones inbetween, as needed.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:38 AM   #12 
Oldfishlady

Is he still in the 5gal and is it filtered...can you post an updated pic..
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

He's in a one gallon that's floating in the 5 gallon to keep the temp and so I can do 100% water changes. He's doing a little bit better and is now swimming kind of frantically and mostly upright. I'm most confused about the symptoms that have been jumping all over the place...

I'm at work but will try to get a picture and hopefully a short video posted later. I really want him to get better because I can tell he misses his 5 gallon..
Old 12-15-2012, 03:49 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

Good, the 1g is perfect to treat him in

What I would recommend-premix the treatment water in a 1gal jug of double dosed dechlorinated water. Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and if you have a tannin source-either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20crushed/gal) Let this steep for 30min.

Dump half the water out of the 1gal (leaving him in) Then using the premixed treatment water- make 25% water changes every 15min for 1hr today. Leaving the water level in the 1gal to about 3in more or less half full. Cover the top with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat/humidity for the labyrinth organ. Attach the QT so it doesn't sink in your heated 5gal to maintain a temp of about 76-77F for treatment.

Tomorrow-Using the premixed treatment water-make 50% daily.
I have found that 100% are not needed-especially for an already compromised fish. One of the goals of treating with natural treatment is to support and build the immune response-by giving the fish the tools to help itself. You have to be careful with over treating or too clean/sterile environment IME.

Nutrition-If you have access to live mosquito larva-offer several rinsed a couple of times a day to boost protein intake to support the immune response. Otherwise, good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals.

Good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #15 
AyalaCookiejar

Thank you for the very detailed response! I will do that as soon as I get off.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:04 PM   #16 
AyalaCookiejar

Ugh. I didn't feed him at all today or yesterday. Now his buoyancy problems are worse and his belly is more bloated than this morning and last night! He also seems to have and he can no longer swim downwards and he has light spots on his gills. No pineconing. I am very concerned that this might be TB or the beginning of Dropsy. I don't know what else it could be. The symptoms within the past two days have also included some twitching and flashing :/ I will get some pictures as soon as possible.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #17 
AyalaCookiejar

Okay. Here's a video of him now. I couldn't get a very great picture of his bloat but you can kind of see it in the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGVTGU0r7c

Do you think his eyes look swollen? Spine curvature?

Light spots on gills.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #18 
Pearl2011

The do look like they're popping out. I personally have left pop-eye and it usually just g oes away on its own. The one time i did treat it got worse, but who knows, that over a year ago.
As for the brown colour, my veryyy old betta started to turn a brown/yellow in agust and evetually got dropsy and lots of other problems. His spine looks okay though. I did have a goldfish who me and my friend assume got stunted and her spine got really bent so eventually got my dad to put her out of her misery. She also had a bit of a fungus issue and finrot so we never did figure out what happened.
How old is your betta?
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

I've only had him for about a year, but I got him from walmart so who knows how old he was beforehand...
I know that a grey swollen belly and swollen eyes are early signs of Dropsy... His belly is pretty light in color, but I don't see any pineconing. I took that video and pictures less than an hour ago

I'm so stupified as to how his bloat has gotten worse in two days and I haven't fed him and have been treating him with ES..... :/
Old 12-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #20 
Pearl2011

Same blost thing happened to one of my females in October, she didnt pinecone and that was only symtom though. Have you tried feeding him peas?? I have used spinach before, and it fixed the bloat problem really well.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote