Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #21 
AyalaCookiejar

No, I avoid feeding them vegetables because they are carnivores.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #22 
LittleBlueFishlets

Hopefully, his spine curvature will improve soon.

My guy, who is also bloated and was doing barrel rolls this morning, also had spine curvature earlier today. His spine is better now though. (But he still hasn't pooped, and is in obvious distress.)

I'm still hoping the Epsom salt treatments will work on both guys.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:38 PM   #23 
AyalaCookiejar

I'm really hoping that it isn't more serious that SBD...he has those light spots on his gills as well. Those were not there a few days ago. However, I can't tell if they are whitish spots or raised, or if they are blue.. like him.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:23 PM   #24 
Pearl2011

I know theyre carnivores, but feeding them vegetables once is worth teyre life.
Pearl2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #25 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I'm really hoping that it isn't more serious that SBD...he has those light spots on his gills as well. Those were not there a few days ago. However, I can't tell if they are whitish spots or raised, or if they are blue.. like him.
Could they be stress induced? (I'm just tossing out ideas here.)
Old 12-16-2012, 02:21 AM   #26 
callistra

Bettas don't bloat because of stress, unless the stress causes a weakening of the immune system enough to cause an infection.. either way it's not a direct correlation.

To me it looks like more than just a belly bloat.. is it fair to say his BODY looks bloated? I think at this point I would not be treating this naturally. I would use epsoms along with a good internal antibiotic like Kanaplex, but up to you.

I've never fed random veggies to bettas before but I have fed half a shelled pea and never had a problem. You want to use fresh or frozen, never canned. You also want to use organic if you can. Nuke the pea in a very small amount of tank water for 10 seconds, shell it, half it (it will come into two pieces once you get the shell off) then break the half into tiny little pieces to feed. It is very effective if it's only constipation but that doesn't look like constipation to me..

Last edited by callistra; 12-16-2012 at 02:25 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 02:29 AM   #27 
LittleBlueFishlets

I meant the white spots on his gills - that's what I was referring to when I asked if they could be stress induced.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 PM   #28 
AyalaCookiejar

So do you guys have any idea what this could be? He is still floating and lethargic. I keep his tank darker but I allow a bit of light and don't cover the front because he likes attention and being able to see me... He's been in the ES since Thursday. The bloat kind of gets better and worse on and off regardless of fasting...

I fed him one pellet last night and he attacked it but had some trouble turning around so he could get to it because it floated behind him. I also let him and my other Betta see each other for less than 30 seconds just to see if he would react and he did. He got aggressive and flared at him. Do you think it's internal organ failure? The lighter spots almost look more blue than white to me so I don't know if its just his coloring or maybe fungus? I'm at a total loss.

He really doesn't seem stressed to me. He likes his attention. He's just lethargic and floating. No pine coning... I've been checking several times a day to make sure he doesn't start pineconing. I also don't have oak leaves or IAL and I don't know where to get some? Or mosquito larvae? He's has stress coat and ES in his water along with Prime for ammonia. He's just not getting any better.

I test the water daily and his ammonia is almost 0, nitrites and nitrates are 0 in both his hospital tank and the 5 gallon. Like I said, daily partial water changes with prime is what I'm using for the ammonia in the tap but his hospital tank for some reason is reading less ammonia than the tap water.

I'm worried that he may be depressed also because of the fact that he has less space than before since I moved him from his five gallon to a one gallon.

Oh, he's also been having bubbles come out of his gills. I don't know what that means? At this moment he is actively trying to swim downwards but keeps floating back up.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 12-17-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:45 PM   #29 
AyalaCookiejar

I just noticed something else alarming.. There was something white floating in the hospital tank. Im assuming it was poo and floating because of the salt? I'm hoping to order some medications tonight and need to know what I should get...