What size is your tank? 5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? BettaMin flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily with one fasting day every week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 1-2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50-80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tetra Aquasafe

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: Forgot to check this but I can if needed.
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? It hasn't changed a lot. He may be a little dull but nothing extreme.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He never comes out of his log unless he lays on the bottom of the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? He has been less active for the past few weeks but I kept seeing what looked like a bubble nest up at the top of his tank so I figured that he must be alright.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? He had dropsy about 6 months ago. His behavior is the same now as it was when he had it too but I have not noticed pine-coning.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Around 1.5 years old.

When I fed him last night he acted like he tried to catch a few flakes but when he was fed a little while ago he didn't take any interest in it. I have the medicine that I treated him with a few months ago that worked wonders for him (Kanaplex). I also have epsom salt on hand if that is needed.
klslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:58 PM   #2 
prodrumernate

i see that u have ammonia.though not really high enough to raise a flag.it doesnt sound like ur tank is fully cycled..u also have nitrates.im wondering if he is like this because of that..id change the water more often.especially having a small tank like that..personally id recommend atleast a 10 gallon for a betta.even if u divide it and put a couple bettas in.

what r u using to test ur water?

i would also try feeding him freeze dried bloodworms.flakes and pellets for bettas arent all the best.its good to mix them on occasion.example feed him flakes like in the morning.and at night bloodworms.and trust me he will love the blood worms.thats all mine will eat now.

with him not being active and staying at the bottom sometimes.id say its his water condition.try changing his water now.about a 50% change and in 2 days do the same.then after that change about 25% once a week.

do u have any pictures of ur tank?i could give more care info if i culd see it..i know u mentioned about his appearance above.but can u give more info on how he looks or even close clear pictures?any lines on his body?any damage done to his fines?anything like that.also maybe try keeping the light off on his tank a couple days.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 AM   #3 
callistra

5 nitrates is not a problem, however the ammonia does suggest it's not fully cycled so you need to be careful and have a read with this: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 It includes testing daily and doing frequent water changes (possibly more than weekly) to complete the cycle safely. Once it is cycled he's going to need water changes weekly.

Can you share some photos? Sluggishness can be any number of things.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:42 AM   #4 
Tikibirds

There may be ammonia in the tap water. I'm not sure how long it would take a cycled tank to eat up ammonia from the tap.

Quote:
Establishing the nitrogen cycle for the Betta in 1gal-10gal filtered tank can be safely completed with a healthy Betta with or without testing products.....provided that you make the needed water changes......

No matter what container you have your Betta in...You will need to make water changes due to the byproducts produced.....
The difference when cycling is that you are growing beneficial bacteria that can help keep the water safer with limited water changes once established.
Quote:
In 5gal-10gal filtered without live plants:
Water changes of twice weekly for the next 4-6 weeks
Of... 1-50% water only and 1-50% with vacuum in all areas you can reach without moving anything or disruption of plant roots.
*The 50% with vacuum will be the water change schedule for the life of the system to maintain water quality once the nitrogen cycle has established.
Filter media needs swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of time a month

*If you have water test kit-base the water only change on: ammonia, nitrite 0.25ppm or greater.
With a low bioload often you don't need the second water only-I always recommend it when you don't have test kit to err on the side of caution...its the safety net....
I would try doing a 50% water change and see if that makes any difference.

If you feed bloodworms, frozen is the way to go. Freezedried BW's don't have the nuteition that a frozen one will have.

5 gallons isn't small - it's 2X the recommended size. Although I have one guy in a 20G by himself and he seems to be quite happy with that
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #5 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

There might be nutrition problems too.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #6 
klslone

I will do a 50% water change today.

As for the food, I have tried other foods for him. I have tried BettaBites pellets but he won't eat them. He tries but they are too big for his mouth. I have also tried another kind of pellet food for bettas but I don't remember the specific name of them. He didn't eat those either. I tried other types of flakes as well and no luck. That is why when he started eating BettaMin flakes I kept him on them. I also tried bloodworms and he would take them in his mouth and spit them back out. I tried multiple times and he may have eaten a couple bites of them but he didn't seem very pleased with them overall.
klslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

New Life Spectrum. If you have too dip in garlic juice.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I recommend cleaning the tank on a schedule basis.... Every week, rather than every two weeks. Also you do not need a 10 gallon for a betta it irritates me when you "have" to have something. Not to be mean or anything, but, no. It is more of a luxury, then an absolute need. Your 5 gallon is just fine.

Sadly bubble nests do not come just from happiness, it's more of an instinct. Bettas can be very picky with their food sometimes you have to put your foot down and deny him his favorite, to get him to eat anything else.

However, i noticed you said you saw pineconing. I will note if 6 months ago he was bloated with no pineconing he did not have dropsy, however if it was then and is now, he is having a relapse which is very common in the rare cases of dropsy survivors. Epsom salt and kanaplex are usually used in an attempt to stop the dropsy though I feel it just prolongs the effects.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

10 gallons is great but not needed for a Betta.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #10 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
5 nitrates is not a problem, however the ammonia does suggest it's not fully cycled so you need to be careful and have a read with this: A Beginner's Guide to the Freshwater Aquarium Cycle It includes testing daily and doing frequent water changes (possibly more than weekly) to complete the cycle safely. Once it is cycled he's going to need water changes weekly.

Can you share some photos? Sluggishness can be any number of things.
Or the Ammonia is from uneaten food, and waste not being cleaned out on a regular basis.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote