Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #11 
klslone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
However, i noticed you said you saw pineconing. I will note if 6 months ago he was bloated with no pineconing he did not have dropsy, however if it was then and is now, he is having a relapse which is very common in the rare cases of dropsy survivors. Epsom salt and kanaplex are usually used in an attempt to stop the dropsy though I feel it just prolongs the effects.

I have not noticed pineconing this time around. He did pinecone when he had dropsy back in the summer. And after he got better, he returned back to normal. Very healthy appetite and very active. I feel like it might be the same thing this time because his behavior is exactly the same as last time and I really don't want to wait until I see pineconing to treat him.
klslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #12 
klslone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
New Life Spectrum. If you have too dip in garlic juice.
I have tried dipping his food in garlic with no luck.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #13 
AyalaCookiejar

(S)He said (s)he has not noticed pineconing this time. So I'm assuming last time there was pineconing. He has all of the symptoms that he had when he had dropsy 6 months ago except for the pineconing... correct?

Nutrition has been mentioned. BettaMin anything is not great in nutritional value. Aqueon, Omega One, and New Life Spectrum pellets would be better options...

The ammonia is likely from not frequent enough water changes or ammonia in your tap water. How long before you tested for ammonia did you change the water? If it was more than 24 hours, your tank is not cycled. I have nitrates in my tap water as well as ammonia, so just because you are seeing nitrates, does not mean your tank is cycled. I recommend testing your tap water, both treated and untreated. If there is ammonia in your tap water, I recommend purchasing seachem prime as your water conditioner. You may also find that your water conditioner may raise your pH. I used tetra BettaSafe before and it raised my pH from 7.4 to 8.

Haha, sorry, I just read your post about the pineconing. Didn't look at the second page lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:39 AM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by klslone View Post
I have tried dipping his food in garlic with no luck.
Does he have Nose damage? Maybe your doing it wrong.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Some fish WILL snub garlic juice, Choclate.

If he has had dropsy in the past first off congrats for getting him through it. It's rare to have survivors. Second off since he has had dropsy he will have relapses, which then it is up to you to give the utmost care possible. Forgot the link but I have read of someone with their goldfish who survived dropsy and the tank had to be immaculately clean to ensure his continuous survival.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I found out something weird about Carter. He got sick and built 2 or 3 bubblenests.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #17 
klslone

He has pineconed. :( I treated the tank with Kanaplex this morning in hopes that it would help him. Unfortunately I am not sure that I caught it fast enough but I pray that I did.

Last time I used epsom salt in order to relieve some of the fluid he had. Does anyone know what dosage should be used in a 5 gallon tank? Or should I not use that since I have already treated it with Kanaplex?
Old 12-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Epsom is safe to use with kanaplex. Wish I used it with Shadow. You can use 3 teaspoons per gallon of Epsom.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #19 
AyalaCookiejar

I think my VT may have what is developing into Dropsy, although he hasn't started to pinecone.. I've been treating him with ES but his condition has been getting better and worse on and off since Thursday... Unfortunately I don't have access to Kanaplex. I could order it online but it would probably be too late. I know he has pooed but his bloat is getting worse. It's scary when they are sick. I feel so helpless.
I really hope your guy will get better.
xx
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #20 
callistra

The Kanaplex and epsoms have a shot at getting it good luck!

Dropsy is usually caused by water quality problems, so once he recovers make sure to keep up on those!
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote