Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #21 
klslone

I will add the epsom salt tomorrow if he is still alive. I usually keep him at college with me and when I brought him home for Christmas break a couple of weeks ago I had to clean the tank out completely. This is probably what destroyed my cycle in the tank. I just thought about it but that may have been what happened back in the summer as well because I had to clean it down to come home for summer break.
klslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #22 
klslone

I added two teaspoons per gallon of epsom salt today. I will add the next dosage of Kanaplex tomorrow. He doesn't look good but he is still alive. He moves around from one place to another every so often throughout the day so he still has energy to move. I got him to take a bite of freeze dried bloodworms today but he ended up spitting it back out. But at least he is willing to take food into his mouth so I haven't lost all hope.

I siphoned out half of the water in the tank so he wouldn't have to swim as far to get to the top for air. Should I keep the salt at 2 tsp. per gallon? I know that with goldfish you can add 3 tsp. per gallon but I'm not sure if the same is true for bettas and with epsom salt. Anyone know?
klslone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

Yes you can add up to 3 teaspoons per gallon :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:55 PM   #24 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I prefer 1-2 tea spoons. Carter got sick I built a chemical soup and he recovered in hours. I also found out Carter builds tons of Bubble nests when sick.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:47 PM   #25 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
I prefer 1-2 tea spoons. Carter got sick I built a chemical soup and he recovered in hours. I also found out Carter builds tons of Bubble nests when sick.
This chemical concoction is not something you want to fill in new people to do to their fish. You got lucky, and your fish probably didn't have anything. I would appreciate any Acme Medical Treatments go through Dr.s Foster and Smith for their approval.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #26 
Sena Hansler

Yeah I wouldn't recommend shoving 3-10 meds together just to make a new fish stressed in a new environment to possibly have a chance. It's like us taking 5 different pills because we think we have ailments when we don't ;)
Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It worked. I used 2 teaspoons of Ick Attack, 1 teaspoon of Copper safe, 10-15 teaspoons of aquarium salt,a and 3 IAL leaves.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #28 
Reefing Madness
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
It worked. I used 2 teaspoons of Ick Attack, 1 teaspoon of Copper safe, 10-15 teaspoons of aquarium salt,a and 3 IAL leaves.
You got lucky, or your fish wasn't sick. Do not push that concoction off on people, yoiu may kill their fish. Its not safe.
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #29 
Sena Hansler

For what? Did he have ich, velvet, open wounds and a weak immune system? That sounds like overkill. Just because it works for you doesn't mean it works for everyone.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #30 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Open wound. It had an infection. I want to point out Ick Attack was the only real medicine Ick Attack is a herbal organic Medicine.