Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #1 
prodrumernate

female betta with white fungus looking stuff

1 of my female bettas has what looks to be like white fungus around her mouth, head and on part of her tail.its been there for a couple weeks..i know.im posting a little late..ive been treating her the pas week.nothings changed..i currently dont have any pictures of it but will try to get some tomorrow if possible..

she acts normal.eats normal.happy as ever when i approach her tank and to eat.she is loosing her color but i believe its because of her age.ive had her 6 months or so..but i know she was older than that at the pet store..

shes in a 10 gallon with another female betta and a black female molly..all divided.the other 2 fish dont have it.only she does.im assuming it could be water quality due to the fact ive been so busy lately and havent cleaned out the tank as much as i should.i will be doing a good cleaning tomorrow..i treated her with tetracycline for about 4 or 5 days.

10 gallon
filtered
heated to about 78F
2 6500K bulbs
live plants-red ludwigia
i feed her freeze dried blood worms.

any other details needed.plz ask.again ill be trying to post pictures tomorrow if i can get her to stay still long enough while shes eating.
thank you in advance for any and all replies.and plz dont be harsh on me.i know.i need to do better maintenance on my tanks.though shes the only one sick out of 3 of my tanks and 10 fish.
prodrumernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:59 AM   #2 
callistra

Bettas at the pet store are generally about 6 months of age, so she's basically a year old.. that's very young.

Tetracycline won't work on cottony patches, which is either a fungus or columnaris. I would start with Kanaplex by Seachem as it is likely to cure both and won't hurt your cycle.

Unfortunately, poor water quality is the leading cause of fish diseases so definitely check your ammonia through nitrate levels and make a good size water changes asap.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:16 AM   #3 
SpeakNow13

My female just got the same thing and passed away :( I noticed the fuzzies in the morning, put some antibiotic in her tank, by the time i had gotten home from work the fuzz had taken over her body and she couldn't even swim. It was terrible. She was also very young. A petco baby that id had for about three months. I hope it gets better!
SpeakNow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #4 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Bettas at the pet store are generally about 6 months of age, so she's basically a year old.. that's very young.

Tetracycline won't work on cottony patches, which is either a fungus or columnaris. I would start with Kanaplex by Seachem as it is likely to cure both and won't hurt your cycle.

Unfortunately, poor water quality is the leading cause of fish diseases so definitely check your ammonia through nitrate levels and make a good size water changes asap.
thank you.i was reading the symptoms and read about Kanaplex.i need to see if petsmart carries it.currently not able to leave apartment..raining outside and battery in car died.but atleast i can clean the water out and check parameters.after the holidays i wont be so busy.i had a feeling it was fungus.just wasnt sure.ill try to grab a couple pictures after this reply.again thank you
Old 12-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #5 
prodrumernate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakNow13 View Post
My female just got the same thing and passed away :( I noticed the fuzzies in the morning, put some antibiotic in her tank, by the time i had gotten home from work the fuzz had taken over her body and she couldn't even swim. It was terrible. She was also very young. A petco baby that id had for about three months. I hope it gets better!
im sorry to hear that.i know how it feels.lost 5 girls in my old sorority.due to my stupidity and not paying attention and reading up a little more on cycling a tank..they died from ammonia poisoning.i had a petco baby as well.she was my first betta and got along very well with the other girls.i have only 1 from the sorority that i had to originally separate because she was just too aggressive.shes next to the sick female..and thank you.i know she will get better once i get proper meds.ive had a fish that was a low sicker than this.i helped her pull through :)
Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #6 
prodrumernate

here some pictures.hard to capture them.she didnt want to stay still.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #7 
bettaluver14

Lightbulb ? hmmm

does it look like white fuzzies?
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #8 
bettaluver14

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
here some pictures.hard to capture them.she didnt want to stay still.
because white fuzzies is fungus growing... like rotted food debris so maybe there was some stuck to her mouth?
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #9 
prodrumernate

yes it looks fuzzy..there was some dead plants in there..i didnt do any major cleaning for a while and focused strictly on the algae problem i had at once.though now its gone.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:28 PM   #10 
bettaluver14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodrumernate View Post
yes it looks fuzzy..there was some dead plants in there..i didnt do any major cleaning for a while and focused strictly on the algae problem i had at once.though now its gone.
yeah things might of gotten a little icky.. make sure you keeep her tank extra clean and grab some meds good luck!