Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #1 
Xaltd1

No Bubble Nest!

I bought my 1st male betta a week ago. Everything I read says males will blow bubble nests, but so far, nothing!
He looks healthy and happy in his 2.4 betta-specific tank. I have a heater set to 74 degrees; clean filter, 3 real plants and 2 young mystery snails (that are very busy!) I've tested the water for ammonia, ph etc. and made adjustments. He eats and gets plenty of treats (dried bloodworms, etc.).
Is he OK? He looks great! (I still can't get that picture.)
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #2 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
I bought my 1st male betta a week ago. Everything I read says males will blow bubble nests, but so far, nothing!
He looks healthy and happy in his 2.4 betta-specific tank. I have a heater set to 74 degrees; clean filter, 3 real plants and 2 young mystery snails (that are very busy!) I've tested the water for ammonia, ph etc. and made adjustments. He eats and gets plenty of treats (dried bloodworms, etc.).
Is he OK? He looks great! (I still can't get that picture.)
It took mine 2 months to do a bubble nest. is there anything floating on top of the water to provide a place for him to anchor it to? like a leaf
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 
AyalaCookiejar

Raise the temp to 78 and don't feed him treats too often. Soak anything freeze-dried before feeding him.
They are all different. Some will make many bubble nests and some will hardly make any throughout their lives.
It isn't necessarily an indication of "happiness" either, so he's not depressed or anything.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Bubblenests are not necessarily a a sign of happiness.....its more just instinct, a sign that they are ready and prepared to breed/are marking their territory. It also depends on the individual fish and their personality.....Some males go through a happy, healthy life without ever once blowing a bubble, and some will make nests in tiny dirty pet store cups when they're near death.
Out of the 15 happy and healthy male bettas I currently have, only one nests regularly, and only a few nest at all. So its not all that big of a deal. ;)

+1 About the temp though, bump it up to about 78-80 if you have an adjustable heater(test the temp with a glass in-tank thermometer however, don't rely on the thermostat). If you don't have an adjustable heater, probably want to invest in one....74 is just too cold long-term.

No need to soak anything freeze-dried, or any food for that matter....it just removes the nutrients in the food and it doesn't prevent bloating. Bloating is caused by over-feeding and lower-quality foods. Just don't over feed.
If you're feeding freeze-dried more then two or three meals a week however, definitely cut down. Its best to stick to mainly a good quality pellet like New Life Spectrum or Omega one as a staple diet, with treats just a couple of times a week for a little variety.

Also, snails produce quite a bit of waste.....even if you have established a cycle in your tank, two mystery snails and a betta is just too much for a tank that size, the ammonia is going to build up FAST and there just isn't enough surface area in that size of a tank to support the needed amount of beneficial bacteria to keep up with that. Even with a betta, cycles in smaller tanks can be unstable.....so if you want to keep the snails, I would highly suggest looking into a 5+ gallon upgrade in the near future.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:04 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

Therre is so much conflicting info out there, I'm so confused!
There are awsome buys on 20-gal tanks these days, I may just have to ditch the 2.5 gal. It's impossible to find an adjustable heater for such a small tank. The snails are teeny, so I will have to address the fact that these get pretty big.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #6 
Xaltd1

Oh, I bought him one of those fake betta leaves w/ the suction cup & put it just below the water line to encourage a nest. He doesn't care much about it. Geez, as ungrateful as my cat!
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #7 
DragonFish

There really is, it does make things confusing sadly......thankfully, I find that this forum offers some generally less conflicting info on most things by experienced keepers based on their own experience in research, so hopefully we can clear up some of your confusion! :)

I also find it rather frustrating that they don't really have much of a selection when it comes to shorter 25 watt adjustable heaters for smaller tanks in most stores....your options are generally unreliable present/pad heaters and then big ol' 50 watts. :/
But if you branch out online you an usually find something that'll fit. Amazon has Hydor Theo heaters, which is a very highly recommended brand, and the 25 watts I believe fit quite well in smaller tanks.....and then the 25/50 watt Elite heaters(they advertise as present, but I do believe they are adjustable) are quite small as well.
Personally, I use these in my 5 gallon and under tanks. They take a couple of weeks to ship in, so not the perfect option if you need something RIGHT away, but they work very well and are quite small.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/2710315149...E:L:OU:US:3160

But because of the snails however, I do agree an upgrade is in order, if only because the 2.5 gallon just isn't enough to support the two snails along with your betta. But in the future for another single betta or if you just wanted to use the 2.5 as a hospital/QT....there are some heater options. ;)

Be careful with those hammocks by the way....you'll want to go in and pull the little metal wire out of them, otherwise they'll rust and mess with your water.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:27 PM   #8 
Myates

Dragon has some good advice/info.. nests mean nothing other than territory, wanting to mate or a weather system going through your area.

It does not indicate happiness nor health.

I believe Zoo Med hammocks have stopped using the wire - bought a bunch of them not too long ago and they are pure rubber/plastic.
Place them a couple inches below water line.. it's more for them to have a place to rest near the surface to make breathing easier, they won't entice them to make bubble nests.

Otherwise, Dragon has you covered :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #9 
Sivan

If you have mystery snails, they are properly called Apple Snails. They are high ammonia/waste producers and cannot be in tanks less than 5 gallons when accompanied by betta fish, though 10 gallons may be the better route to go if you plan on having more than one.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #10 
Xaltd1

Thanks, everyone! I finally got semi-good pictures of all my bettas. Now that I look at them, the 2 girls look a little fat. Funny, they're picky eaters!