Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #1 
marybethw

Strange white stuff on tip of fins

Hello, so I just got home for winter break from college, and of course I have my cute little female betta fish Xena with me. I clean Xena's one gallon tank every week, no soap, only tank safe cleaner, which I don't use every time. I give her rocks and plant a good rinsing, then I usually let the water sit for a few hours with water conditioner (no salt of any kind) before I put her back in. This has always been my routine, but I just noticed she has like weird white stuff at the tip of her fins. I'm not sure if it's fungus because its not splotched on her, it's literally just on the tips of her dorsal fin "spikes" if you will (Since she's a crowntail, I'll show a pic).
So here I am asking you guys, I could NOT get a good unblurry pic, plus its not that noticeable unless you know what she usually looks like and are looking kind of close. But anyway, here is a pic of her from a while back, what she usually looks like, and then here's another of her, and I circles where the white fluff is.
Attached Images

marybethw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #2 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
Maybe it's True Fungal Infection? here are the tips on a sticky!

True Fungal Infections
•Symptoms: White cottony like patches on its body or head, Lethargic, Not eating, Clamped Fins, Pale Colors
•Treatment: Conservative: Lower temperature below 76* F and treat with Aq.Salt at 1 tsp/gal. Increase water changes to 100% daily. Replace accurate amount of salt following water changes. Never continue salt treatments for more than 10 days. Medication: If Conservative treatment is ineffective after 10 days or you see the fungus spread rapidly during the course of conservative treatment, move to medication. Add “Fungus Eliminator” by Jungle, API Erythromycin, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR Mardel’s Maracyn II. Change water every day and add a new dose of the same medication. Continue until all fungus has disappeared.

Do you think your betta has it? Don't do it until you're sure about it!
Little Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:50 PM   #3 
Little Leaf

Location: In the wilderness! and my house sometimes. IT'S AWESOME, RIGHT?! *Wolf howl*
The white could also be just coloring!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #4 
marybethw

Thanks! :) I'm not 100% sure she has a fungus infection yet, since it's in such a weird spot. But I will be extremely vigilant making sure if it starts to spread I start the aquarium salt first and if that doesn't work I have fungus medication that i used for my male betta's tail rot. :) Which works for fungus too.
You were very helpful, thanks so much! I have aquarium salt on hand, and I had no idea I could treat with that.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #5 
Little Leaf

has the area been white before you found the white thing?
Old 12-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #6 
marybethw

nope, never been white. her tips are hot pink on any normal day. This stuff is white and fluffy and I've never seen it before. But good news is I think most of it fell off (yeah no idea..) which is weird because maybe if my tank is usually dirty and has weird gunk all over then maybe she accidentally got some on her, but that's not the case (my tank is very clean). But anyway luckily like 90% of it "fell off" or something when I wasn't looking. I'll continue to keep an eye on her until it all goes away.
And of course she's crazy lively as ever, so no mood changes or anything. :P
Old 12-15-2012, 02:01 PM   #7 
Syriiven

It almost sounds like new fin growth to me. My female had her dorsal fin torn very badly before I got her, and it's begun growing out. But before that could happen, she had to grow another 'spine' first, and it was white and looked a little fuzzy - and then it disappeared to almost nothing, and now there's fin filling in >.>

So that would be my bet on what yours is doing, just growing some fin.

Edit: especially since she's a crown tail and it seems her 'spines' grow before the fin

Last edited by Syriiven; 12-15-2012 at 02:03 PM. Reason: forgotten thought
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #8 
Silverfang

It may be fungus, or shedding slime coat, or, if it appears to be a part of her fins, it could be new growth.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote