Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 AM   #1 
PaulO

Question Should I quarantine & suggestions?

I recently moved my two bettas into a divided tank and I thought it would be cool to add a few shrimp as 2 bettas + 10 gallons has a bit of potential. I am still debating whether or not to go ghost shrimp or some other creatures. Now to the juicy part of this post... quarantine. I have three options when it comes to stocking this tank: Petco, Petsmart, and an LFS called Tri-City Tropical fish. The first two chains have have shrimps for sure but I have seen occurrences of diseases in their tanks. The LFS would be my first option but I am not sure if they have ghosties or at least amanos. Can shrimps pick up diseases from fish or are invertebrates safe? Should I quarantine and if so for how long?
Tap:7.8 after 48 hours
Ammonia (tap): .25
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates:0
Temp:75*F (Low until I get new heater, my old Hydor Theo 50w pooped out)

Also any suggestions for alternate compatible species whether invertebrate or not would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!
-Paul
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:23 AM   #2 
Kithy

One betta in a 10g tank has a few choices for tank mates but two is a bit less. I think the only thing you can get is ghost shrimp but I'm not positive on that one.

But you should quarantine for a week just to be on the safe side.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #3 
Sena Hansler

Shrimp would be fine, especially for a 10 gallon divided. However I suggest avoiding known places that have diseases in their tank. If you know it, still get them, you get the disease with that 50/50 chance. and I would not chance it. Quarantine, I would. They can get ich, they can get sick, and they can die. Treating them with meds is different than treating a betta with meds due to their lack of scales.

Quarantine for at least a week.

Otherwise you could go with snails. In a divided tank unfortunately there is no other species that I know of that could thrive in there, as most (fish, or bottom feeders) need the full space, or more space.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #4 
PaulO

Thank you guys for the advice, I got the shrimp (luckily) from my lfs they had a 37ish gallon tank with maybe a hundred ghost shrimp. I have been going to this lfs for the last ~6 months. They have beautiful tanks with vibrant saltwater and freshwater fish, beautiful corals and lots of brands of fish products that chains don't have. I put the shrimps in a cup which is now in the big tank to temp acclimate, I will probably let them sit for a good hour before I release them under the cover of darkness . I don't think they will be the bestest of friends as my betta gave them a good look down and a test jab at the plastic :-/ . Anyway I am hoping at least 3 of the five survive for at least a 2 months. Also random question do bettas need complete darkness to sleep or are moonlight led's low enough to not wake them?

Last edited by PaulO; 12-23-2012 at 12:49 AM.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote