Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #1 
paws

I am hoping for a new Betta fish

Now I want a Betta fish. I did have one but the brother's friend's sister killed iit when was taking care of it and she put too cold water in the tank. I want one for my birthday which is rolling around in late March. And I didn't throw out the tank after he died I kept it. This is the tank I have. It sitll includes everything it came with.
http://livingworld.com/usa/aquatic/p...01134000020101
Yeah I was wondering if this tank is OK?
I am also wondering if anything should be added?
I also have another fake plant.
PS Can you please tell me information about them? That would help to hear from the experts.
paws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:35 PM   #2 
iamntbatman

How big is that tank? Bettas do best in a tank of at least 5 gallons. They are a tropical fish and thus would do best with a heater and some sort of in-tank filtration. Does that tank have any lighting? Bettas (like most fish) should have adequate lighting turned on for about 8 hours a day (more if you have live plants, too).

Regular floating Betta pellets are a fine staple, but I like to supplement my Crowntail's diet with frozen bloodworms, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, and live blackworms. He realllllly pigs out on those blackworms.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #3 
paws

Well that tank is 1/2 gallons. what about this tank?
http://www.pets-warehouse.com/Vpasp/...zmam=90031077& zmas=12&zmac=62&zmap=110657
It is 10 gallons. I would purchase a heating lamp and a heater and a filteration system. I have those floating pelets but i will feed him frozen bloodworms, tubifex worms, brine shrimp, and live blackworms. JUst so he stays healthy. I will purchase more hide aways and more plants. I will also look into buying him a little buddie to live with! They will be BFFL. But.... what other kind of fish?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:20 PM   #4 
foureyed_dragon

wow, I wish they had 10 gallon tanks that cheap around me. the ones at the pet store start around 10 bucks for a 5 gallon or less.
foureyed_dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:22 PM   #5 
iamntbatman

If you get a ten gallon tank with adequate heating and filtration, you're off to a good start for your betta. I definitely recommend using live plants instead of the fake ones. The easiest plant to start with is hornwort. You can buy a bundle for $2-3 and within a few weeks, you'll have grown enough to completely decorate your tank. The fish will love hiding in it, not to mention it helps to eliminate fish waste and oxygenate the water.

If you get a 10 gallon, I would recommend getting a mystery snail or two, a group of cory catfish (3 would be a good number) and some other peaceful fish such as cherry barbs or rasboras. Avoid fish that might nip at the fins of your betta (like tiger barbs or serpae tetras) or fish that might become betta snacks (such as neons). Also avoid flashier fish such as fancy guppies, other bettas, and gouramis. These fish may chase after the betta or vice versa.
iamntbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:36 PM   #6 
King of Candlesticks

The Ten Gallon tank is definately the way to go... Bettas need a Heater and lighting and the first tank can provide neither.

in my experience Platies and Corydoras Catfish go well with Bettas but it all depends on how aggressive your betta is. Mine is pretty Docile and doesn't mind other fish. Except Mollies. The Mollies attacked my betta so now my betta has his own tank.

African Dwarf frogs can work too.
King of Candlesticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:42 PM   #7 
paws

WELL! I can get a betta. I also have an old 10 gallon tank that is great for a betta right? So i will buy real plants. And that special food. I will also beg my mom for a little buddy for him/her! But there is one problem. I go away to Canada in the summer and i live in NC USA. So I need someone to take care of him while I am gone. I will look into some old people cuz they normally don't go away for summer. ALSO when I get my filteration system, heater, and light set up don't I need to run it on a cycle? How do you do that? I heard it can sometimes take over 1 month!