Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #1 
asukabetta

Worth getting this betta?

I found this betta from a breeder, and my cousin loves it and wants one for xmas, she knows what it is to have a betta, she had one when she was 12, and it lasted her almost 4-5 years!!!

I contacted the breeder who does ship internationally but-- there is something making me hesitant... the price.

At first he said the price was 50 dollars with international shipping and all. Which I thought was fine, but when he discovered I lived in Spain he said that I would have to pay in my own currency which is 50 euro.

And that is 65,80 dollars-- which is 15,8 more than what he asked from me initially.

Then he said if I didn't want to pay euros I could pay 65,8 dollars instead. o.o''

I feel like it's a bit costly, and I do not like how he just changed the price on me suddenly, anyways, my question is... Is this betta, marbling and all, cost 65,8 ??? I know cost is subjective but, I dunno... Are plakats more expensive than extra halfmoons? (what I have imported for myself)

It's 1 single betta that I'm shipping in and he said it would take me 3-5 days to get here, even a week... which worries me because it's cold here and being handled around for almost a week makes me queesy...

Meantime I'm looking in Aquabid and with a breeder I met from japan XD

Last edited by asukabetta; 12-15-2012 at 05:42 AM.
asukabetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I think he is worth it. But the breeder does not sound trusrworthy. You can get better looking Bettas from members here for cheaper.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #3 
Laki

It's all personal preference. Check out the seller's history and, if possible, customer testimonials. I don't know what the price is converted to Canadian dollars but I would not pay over 20$ for a fish and then shipping. That's just me, because I know I can get them off members here for cheaper or locally for even cheaper and guaranteed alive upon purchase.

Marbles are not rare, so I know you can get them around. Plakats are sometimes sold as more expensive I don't know why. The lps here was selling a blood red crimson plakat for 40$- it slowly died in the store bc nobody wanted to pay that outrageous price.

Good luck!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Poor Plakat.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #5 
MSG

Totally not worth the price or the risk for shipping.

You have a store that sells bettas so you're not the only person in your country with these fish. A plakat might be harder to find, but they're out there.
  • Try to find out from your store if there's a fish club in your area, if not start one up on a social network.
  • I would highly recommend meeting these people in a library or cafe with friends though in case some weirdos show up.

So much EASIER to get a fish from someone LOCAL.

Shipping tropical fish over the winter from different countries is a great way to waste money & end up with sick unhappy fish that you'll end up healing in a hospital for weeks.
  • When you trying to buy something from overseas, you need to mention your country when you initially contact them so they can give you an accurate calculation of shipping costs.
  • The breeder isn't doing anything deceptive, he/she doesn't know where in the world you're located.
  • Also when it comes to shipping during the colder months, you have to factor in HEAT packs & pray the people who work for the shipping company don't mishandle your package.
  • Too much hassle for the amount of money you're paying.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #6 
Mo

This is a total rip off TBH. I'm sure there is another blue marble like this on AB for 15 dollars..
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #7 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Ask the breeder what makes theres so special.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM   #8 
Sena Hansler

I do not think it is fair to say that the breeder is not trustworthy. Don't you think they could have accidentally forgotten about the change in price, over seas/borders? Or did not know where the buyer was situated?

MSG has it right on the nose there. And about the shipping... Do not do it over seas in winter. I will not recommend it. We shipped fish to us, from somewhere closer (day and a half drive actually) and they died due to a bad shipping company. There is more risk, especially since it is farther away you may get dead fish (you lose the money towards the shipping) or very sick fish.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #9 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They just dont sound the best too me. Whats so special about there fish?
Old 12-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #10 
Sena Hansler

It's the shipping cost as well, Choclate. Think we could ship for free? Would if I could. But to ship one fish to someone here, can cost up to 100.00, or pass that. Doesn't mean the fish is "special" it means SHIPPING is costly. Just because someone prices a fish at 10....20...30... doesn't mean they are untrustworthy.

It's a halfmoon plakat, not just a plakat btw. -.-
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote