Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #1 
Nothingness

AQ salt for fin rot

I am on day 2.5 of fin rot therapy for my little Charlie. I have moved him from a 10g into a 3g hospital tank heated to 80. I have added 2.5 tps of AQ salt with each 100% water change. I was just curious whats the avg time it take to start to see the black edge of fin rot disappear from the fins with this treatment? it looks like the fin are still shrinking.
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #2 
MSG

Depends on how severe the rot is

You have to neutralize the rot first, then healing is dependent on how healthy your fish is.

Based on what I've seen..... 1/4 cm regrowth every 12-16 hours.

It's harder to tell on certain fish because black edging is natural on some.

Do you have any focused photos of your betta?

Good clear shots every 24 hours is the best way to monitor the progress of the healing.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #3 
Nothingness

Good idea with the pictures. I will start doing that to monitor regrowth
Old 12-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #4 
cantfindone

I have found that bettafix is really good in treating finrot
Ive been told aq salt is used more for parasites. But thats just my opinion.
cantfindone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothingness View Post
I am on day 2.5 of fin rot therapy for my little Charlie. I have moved him from a 10g into a 3g hospital tank heated to 80. I have added 2.5 tps of AQ salt with each 100% water change. I was just curious whats the avg time it take to start to see the black edge of fin rot disappear from the fins with this treatment? it looks like the fin are still shrinking.
I'm curious what your normal water change schedule is for the 10g? Have you had him long? Have you figured out the initial cause of the fin rot? IME, fin rot heals up if the water quality is kept up. Also with him being out of the 10g, how are you keeping the BB alive, is there an ammonia source? Sorry, I know a little off topic but I'd hate for you to put him back into the 10g to just have problems.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

I just want to add, Bettafix is a really dangerous medicine for labyrinth fish. It contains an ingredient called "tea tree oil" which covers the labyrinth in some type of coating, preventing the fish from breathing from the surface. It maybe only dangerous if used a little too much, but most got the best of them... Also, aquarium salt is used for external injuries just like fin rot or parasites. It was also proven. Epsom salt is for internal, just to let you know.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 
Nothingness

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I'm curious what your normal water change schedule is for the 10g? Have you had him long? Have you figured out the initial cause of the fin rot? IME, fin rot heals up if the water quality is kept up. Also with him being out of the 10g, how are you keeping the BB alive, is there an ammonia source? Sorry, I know a little off topic but I'd hate for you to put him back into the 10g to just have problems.
I do a 50-75% weekly change and I also moved the sponge filter into the hospital tank with him. We have had him about 3 weeks now and I missed 1 weekly change and it turned out to be 10 days between water changes and then the fin rot happened. By no means was his tank already cycled

Last edited by Nothingness; 12-16-2012 at 09:24 PM.