Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #1 
Origami

Question Two questions about Ammonia Burn and Fins growing back

Housing
What size is your tank? I don't want to say, I know you guys are going to get mad at me, but I'm working on moving to 2 Gallon tank. Atleast his tank now is bigger than the little cup he was in at the petstore...
What temperature is your tank? I have been heating up a neck thing in the microwave and wrapping it around the tank which keeps it warm.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated? Kind of, explained above...
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta Bio Gold Pellets. 2-3
How often do you feed your betta fish? Everyday

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechorinator

First question:
You can see in my avatar Origami has this red stuff on his head and gills and I don't think it is his coloring. Could it be ammonia burn? I just got him from the petco tuesday. He also has white spots coming out from his tale that oddly within a few minutes yesterday turned pink. It doesn't look like something is on him so much as his tale in those parts has been bleached. I don't know if that is ammonia burn also. Do ammonia burns go away? I have been changing his tank frequently... I'm going to do a 100% water change today... He is super active. I almost wonder if he has velvet because he almost rubbing up against the plant and he is constantly moving. I think he also must see his reflection in the side of the tank because he keeps trying to swim into the walls.

Second question:
He is a elephant ear male and I paid 20$ for him *faints*, and I want him to have the things I paid so much for (the fluffy fins)...but one of them is ripped off, I was wondering if it would grow back?
I took that picture a few days ago and he is brighter now. He is actually purple,blue, and pink but it doesn't show up in the photo...(He turns out white in photos?) I will try and get another photo...
Origami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

It's hard to tell from the pic. Bettas do change color once in a better environment so its very possible that's what is happening. Not knowing the size of tank or bowl he's in make its hard to advise on proper water changes but since you're doing 50% every other day I doubt he has ammonia burns.yes fins do grow back.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:07 AM   #3 
Origami

I think the ammonia burns might be from the time at petco (some of the fish's water looked like it hadn't been changed in forever) I just got him there a few days ago. Here is a better picture, you can see the red spots I'm talking about. If they are ammonia burns, do they heal up and is there anything I can do?
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2012, 12:28 PM   #4 
Origami

One thing I didn't notice wasn't normal until I was looking at more pictures of bettas is his head. His head is a grey color then red on the top and gills and the rest of him is purple. Should his head be a lavender purple too? My mom is telling me to leave him alone but I'm afraid he has some type of disease from being at the pet store. I heard that early collumnaris can manifest as a grey head then turn red... I just think the red isn't his natural coloring so it's kind of freaking me out.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

I think you are over worrying about it. Bettas do change color. My one male was VERY pale pink, he has now changed to a dark purple, burgundy, blue depending on how the light hits him. Is he eating? Swimming around? I urge you to get a heater so his temp stays a constant 78-80F this will help him stay healthy. Big fluctuations in temp can lower his immunity. You are doing frequent water changes so it is HIGHLY unlikely he has ammonia burns, if he did your frequent water changes would be what he needs. His gills are supposed to be red to some degree, its a sign of health & oxygenation, the red on his body appears to be his coloring. As best i can tell from the pic his head is the same gray as his fins. Maybe someone else will see something I'm not. I say sit back, relax, enjoy your fish & quit looking for something to be wrong with him.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote