Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #1 
Syriiven

Water Parameters too good to be true?

Okay. >.> I've had this 10g cycling for a month with two canes of lucky bamboo, and for three days with 4 marimo moss balls before I added my two new betta.

I tested the water as soon as i got my kit, and for 3 days it was 0's across the board with a steady pH of 7-7.5.

And 5 days later it's still 0's across the board!

I'm just wondering if I've just done a good job on picking plants and cycling it first, or if I have a bad kit that's telling me nothing at all =/
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #2 
mikylarsen

What is/was your ammonia source?
mikylarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 
Syriiven

I was using betta food. A mix of flakes and pellets, and a considerable amount as I had a lot of time to let the tank cycle before I got the new bettas.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #4 
mikylarsen

Assuming you used the API Freshwater Masterkit and saw ammonia readings spiked then dropped, followed by high nitrIte readings then back to 0, and finally some nitrAte readings.

Also, assuming your lucky bamboo leaves stick out of the water, my understanding is they consume nitrAte for growth.
While 0s across the board is not impossible, it's fairly impressive.
mikylarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #5 
Syriiven

Okie, let me explain a bit better;

a month ago I didn't have the test kit, I just 'fed' the tank some fish food every day with the lucky bamboo in it (and yes, leaves above the water).

A week ago I got the two new betta, four marimo, and master test kit.

I added the marimo and tested the water on the first day, and 0's.
Then continued testing for two more days and still had 0's

So then I added the betta, and after 5 days, 0's. >.>

Thus I figured it's impressive, but unlikely...so concerned about the test kit being..old?
Old 12-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #6 
Myates

You should have some Nitrate readings in a cycled tank.. having them is a sign of a good cycle, while ammonia and nitrites are at 0. A cycle halfway finished would have 5-20 ppm nitrates.

It's possible that as the bacteria processes the ammonia/nitrites the plants are absorbing the nitrates as they are produced. BUT you have only bamboo and moss balls (those moss balls are more a gimmick/decoration for aquariums, don't actually get rid of algae, etc). So I am not really confident that just the two bamboos would remove all nitrates.

Be very careful when adding in fish, do plenty of testing for the first couple of weeks as a big jump in ammonia can easily happen.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #7 
Syriiven

The fish are already added. I figured if the cycle hadn't completed I would've seen some level of anything in there, but it seemed clear. And still is >.<

I tested the kit on my other tanks (a 2.5 and 3g) and each of the chemicals works to show something (as those tanks are due for the second weekly change tonight).

So I guess either something's working well, or I've blundered into a fish-in cycle. Despite the readings, I'm doing a 50% change tomorrow and will continue with it once per week (plus gravel vacuuming). The fish have been in there for 5 days, I thought for sure something would read (and moss balls are a type of algae, so I don't think they'd eat algae).

And adding more plants like anacharis and java moss/fern once my lfs replenishes their stock at the end of the month.

Thanks for the responses. I'll just start testing every 2-3 days to watch for any sudden spikes if I screwed this up and it's cycling right now >.<.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:47 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

Okay... so you have the API master test kit, correct?

There should be an expiration date on each of the bottles. Mine expires in 2017 and I just bought it brand new... So I am confused as to why you may think the test kit is old? Did you look at the expiration dates or buy it used?

Also, did you make sure to shake the living crap out of that nitrate bottle #2 and turn over your test vial after putting in bottle #1 to mix it up? You need to vigorously shake the #2 bottle for thirty seconds and shake the vial after adding both for at least a minute.

It is very possible that the tank could have fully cycled within that month when you did not have the test kit. In nature, I believe the nitrogen cycle works in a full circle, meaning ammonia turns to nitrites which turn to nitrates and the plants turn the nitrates into something else... Usually, in a tank, which is a closed system, the water needs changed because the nitrates don't revert back.

So either your plants are taking care of the nitrates or you may have not shaken that bottle well enough. OFL told me that the nitrate bottle #2 settles and thats why you need to shake it so much.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 12-15-2012 at 11:50 PM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:49 PM   #9 
Syriiven

I've shaken them both vigorously, but I guess I can shake them harder and for longer ^^;

And yes, I checked for expiration and the kit's done in 2015. But I tested it on my other tanks and it works. Well, nitrites and nitrates dont show, but there's hardly any ammonia in my other tanks for them to show. So I'll go test it with a vengeance! xD

Thanks Ayala. =)
Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 PM   #10 
Syriiven

Oh yea, mine's the Nutrafin Master test Kit, they didn't have API test kits when I was there.

But should there be a huge difference between them? Cause I use both API and Nutrafin brands in everything else, like my conditioners.

Tags
ammonia nitrates