Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #1 
flyingpony22

Help Needed Healing Betta With Fin Rot

I've had this sweet fish for a year, and I feel so terrible that he's gotten as bad as he has! Hurricane Sandy hit pretty bad where I live and I was without power for two weeks. I didn't have hot water so water changes were pretty much out of the question. I attempted them in the beginning but it was too much, and I had a lot of other things going on at the same time. I wasn't home that often, but when I was I filled water bottles with water that I heated on the stove and floated in the tanks to try and provide them some source of heat. The temp in my house dropped so low I honestly didn't expect any of them to make it, but thankfully they all did. My two other bettas are fine, one has minimal tail damage (not too noticeable), but this poor little guy handled everything horribly.

I purchased maracyn from the store and treated him for 5 days as directed. I waited two weeks, but he showed no improvement. On the third week I decided to try the treatment again, but at the end he still showed no improvement. He's a very happy, active fish. He dances when I come into the room and playfully flares at me. It was hard to get him to stay still to take these pictures because he kept begging me for food. I just feel terrible that he got this bad. I'm not really sure what else to try for him. I purchased IAL leaves online, and they are being shipped to me, but in the meantime is there anything else that might help this poor little guy?

Housing
What size is your tank? I gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Air stone
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? A few pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Daily
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% every day, 100% every 3rd day
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Tap water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His fins look torn and ragged, not as long as they used to be
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It hasn't, he's still extremely active, dances for me when I come into the room and eats his food right away
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A month ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Maracyn
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nothing prior to this
How old is your fish (approximately)? I got him from the pet store a year ago
Attached Images

flyingpony22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #2 
Syriiven

The pictures are a bit small for me to see...he almost looks like a tail-biter, but not sure what he looked like before.

Have you tried using AQ Salt with the water at 80F? AQ Salt for a few days can encourage fin regrowth and cover any open sores (if it's not finrot and is biting).

Though, I'm no expert here. Just going off my own little guys issues and what others have told me.

Goodluck with him tho!
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #3 
cantfindone

My previous betta had finrot and i used bettafix. Works really well. Just follow the instructions on the back. Also stresscoat is good with fin regrowth. I add it to my water everytime i do a water change.
cantfindone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #4 
shellieca
Reference Team

Personally I'm not seeing fin rot as the edges look "clean". You said there's been no improvement, does that mean it hasn't gotten worse? IMO sometimes when its really bad it can take a while for new growth & I wouldn't be too concerned so long as its not getting worse. IME fin rot goes away with clean, temp matched, conditioned water & you're already doing frequent water changes. Glad y'all made it through Sandy.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #5 
callistra

He looks like he's got white salt sprinkling look to him is this true? If so he's got ick.. He looks like he has fin rot to me too.

I would begin conservative treatment for fin rot and ick here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote